• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

jw youngs rolling pin

Ben Jennings

Hi all with my birthday coming up and a missus who will probably end up getting me more socks and boxers to go with the Christmas ones I fancy getting a rolling pin for my self. It would mainly be used as a reel for a roving approach or on my stalking rod. I like the idea of the rolling pin as when stalking in tight spaces it will be much easier to cast with under arm flicks. Just wondering what people thoughts were on them and if you'd recommend one or should I just stick to a fixed spool reel?

Hi Ben, I started my centrepin adventure with a rolling pin and I found them a great introduction to the joys of using a pin. It enabled me to cast a good and accurate distance too. I then started using "normal" pins and found it fairly easy to cast underarm (a cast which is as much as I need to do on the Kennet- and often, not even that when fishing the margins) and perfect for roving. The rolling pin is expensive and looking back, I might have been better going straight for something like a Speedia Wide Drum which is a fantastic reel and you can pick up one in very good condition for under £150. It's all about personal preference and budget at the end of the day but given the major advantage of the rolling pin is to facilitate easy good distance casting without spending time learning the Wallis cast, then I'm not sure you would need one if you will be mainly casting underarm flicks.

I bought one on Thursday, used it on Friday, took it back yesterday. I think it's a lovely idea but I could already feel a baggyness around the pivot. I'm an engineer by trade and I should of listened to my instincts..........plus to a few people on here as well.

I toyed with the idea of a rolling pin but after reading a few horror stories about them I decided to just go for a normal pin. Ended up with the Okuma and can't fault it at all. I too adopt a mobile approach and never have felt like I've needed to be able to cast further. The wallis cast really isn't that hard to learn as a lot of people make out. Go treat yourself and enjoy!

Thank you for the info chaps. Might have to practice with my other pin and see if I can get my casting technique better instead of buying one. It was mainly when stalking for carp I liked the idea of having the turnable casting as a lot of the time I'm wedged in between trees with just enough room to lift the rod up and down to flick baits out the 5ish meters and lift the rod up to strike. Will have to get in the garden and practice.

am i right in saying that the other issue with those reels is a lot of line twist?

The line twist must be a nightmare on the rolling pin. The lack of twist is one of the major attractions of a centerpin for me.

am i right in saying that the other issue with those reels is a lot of line twist?

Yes, there will be a lot of line twist, as there is with a "normal" centrepin if you cast "off the side"

I talked to RayW about this many years ago and since then I have used braid for 100% of my fishing. Of course braid will twist as mono does BUT the effects are just not noticeable. Previously, after a day casting "off the side" whilst roving with my FredCrouch pins mono was seriously twisted but have never had a problem with braid.

I fish (and cast) differently these days but have had the same braid on my pins for 4 seasons now, and all is ok :)

I have a pair of them and use them for most of my barbel fishing, i don't have a problem with them but then they are the "marmite" pin!

I have one and I use it a lot on the local pond for carping. Line twist hasn't been a huge issue. It takes a bit of getting used to but I prefer it to a conventional pin.... It gives someone like me who is far from a purist the chance to look like one on the bank ;)

I got one and use it when i roll meet on my trips to the royalty, i am on the look out for a new pin for trotting as the pawl has broken on my marco cortesi, given the choice i wouldnt buy a rolling pin again as i can cast well enough without the need for that feature

I'm with the normal 'pin opinion, in that I do the vast majority of my fishing on small rivers and use a Fred Crouch jet, casting underarm. I did, however, purchase a Dave Lewthwaite (Lewtham) Quest in 2013, just to see if it was any good. There's a swim on my local river that requires a longer (and accurate) cast to get the bait where I want it and the Quest (having added a rubber washer to keep the centre nut in place) is perfect for the job. I also use braid so line twist isn't apparent. The Quest has a good, firm ratchet as well, which comes into play in faster water.

I've love a Speedia as well. £150? Blimey, just a couple of years ago they could be picked up on Ebay for about £40 (in good condition).

Back