• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Digital Scales

Stephen Scaysbrook

I'm just back from a trip to the Derbyshire Derwent and for the third time my Korum Digital scales have been playing up. They would not turn on and I had a spare battery from last time I had trouble with them so I changed the battery and they still would not turn on. I disconected the battery and reconected it then they came on. After weighing a nice Derwent Barbel of 11lb 7oz and returning it to the river without messing her about any longer for a picture I tried turning the scales on again but they just would not come on.
Is any one else having any trouble of this kind with these scales or have I just got a bad set??. I've not got a recept and I did buy them online so not quite sure what to do.
Is there a decent set of scales out there that any one can recommend but I dont really want to go above £40 and they must weigh in pounds and ounces. Its supprising how many have the pound divided by 10 and not 16.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Scaz

Scaz - I've got the Reuben Heaton 9000 ones, had them a while now, and I'm impressed with them. they come in a pouch to keep them dry, and are nice and compact.

Scaz, there are very few digital electronic scales that are reliable, long term. Almost without exception they have failings, some more serious than others. The Korum scales are known to be unreliable, unless you are one of the few lucky ones. the one exception seems to be the 'Salter Brecknell Electro Samson' scales, they are rated very highly by those who own them , and I have yet to hear of any serious problems with them. There are several versions, depending on the weight range you require...and prices vary enormously depending on supplier. Sadly, they are usually priced above your max.

This supplier comes close though. Salter Brecknell Electro Samson

Pah...having followed my own link through, the £41 price does not include VAT. Once they add that and postage, they are £53.08. Search the web further, you may find them cheaper.

I looked again, and these come closer. If you have Amazon prime, they come next day at £42.48 posted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1M7RQ3S3MZ4M31WFTKR6

Cheers, Dave

Never had a problem, weighed a Barbel of 32lbs yesterday on mine, not quite a PB but a nice fish all the same.:eek:

Seriously I have never had a problem with mine, I suppose as with anything that is mass produced there will be good and bad.

Avons say no more.

Hi Stephen,
had similar issues soon after buying a set of korums a couple of years ago. I was on the verge of buying a different set from another manufacturer when I figured perhaps korums customer service department might be able to help. After an exchange of emails I returned the scales and they sent me a brand new set. They have worked brilliantly and when checked against other scales just as accurate.

Cheers Simon

Had similar problems with Reuben heatons! Screen comes on but no numbers, then they refuse to work. Return the fish and ten minutes later they work fine. Returned them and was sent a new set but theses aren't much better. This has also happened to a friend.

I 've been using Fox Stalker digital scales for about four seasons now and never had any issues with them.

Roger

Face it chaps . Digital scales are pants . Get some Reubon Heaton dial scales or some Avons , you just can't go wrong with them . Durable and accurate . You can pick up second hand ones on the E bay for reasonable money if you are on a limited budget . Old school at times really is the best way to go :D

No no no no Mike, you must embrace the new Digitised, computerised technologies, be it in motor vehicles, sports or just plain day to day living, it guarantees a degree of uncertainty and aggravation that keeps you on you toes more than the steady predictable old ways,and that has to be a good thing, right ?!!!

Simon Harper
I've just sent Korum after sales an email so I'll see what comes of that. I am looking at getting some Avons though. I do have a set of Reubon Heaton flyweights which I always got on with but just fancied a move to digital.
If I don't get any help from Korum I won't be buying any more diggies.

There are some Avon flyweight on flea bay, also on there are Reuben Heaton flyweight, they both look to be the same scale.

Back