• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wader Help.

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi ... I wonder if anybody can help out , my thigh waders have finally given up the ghost, so I need replacements... I already have 2 pairs of chesties, but wear the thigh waders more than them.
I need a pair with a steel shank, and studs, not neoprene, too hot in summer.
Not nylon or breathable fabric, too likley to tear and not robust enough for me as I use them for rivers all year round, and also for rock scrambling /fishing at sea and bait digging.

I wanted good quality rubber, but it seems that most rubber waders dont have the above, or have the above plus a steel toecap,which makes them very heavy.

Anybody any suggestions..... BTW, Hunter wellies company no longer make their waders, which did cover all my wants above !

Dave

I see what you mean David, ... just spent ages trawling through sites and couldn't find what you specify. I was interested to have a look because my Hunters Shore Fishers thigh waders won't last forever and I was blissfully unaware that I cannot replace like for like.
The expensive hand made Le Chameau's look ok but don't have studded soles, same as the cheaper Wychwoods.
The Century waders are quality but have toe caps.
I'm glad that I've probably prolonged the life of my waders by using wader clamps to hang them up after quickly going through a previous pair of Streamfishers through leaving them turned over which made them crack on the fold.
dt:)

Have a look at L C Waders, they do all sorts and bespoke, I bought some neoprene thigh waders from them last year, good service and very pleased with them.

It's not difficult to add studs to felt sole waders, I've not done any rubber soled ones but it can't be difficult. May be worth looking at stocking foots and getting some good quality wading boots which last ages and then only the rubber needs replacing when finished with.

Hi Dave, I'd strongly recommend the Ocean studded thigh waders, I've had a pair of these for 10 years or more and theyr're still going strong, very robust, grippy and comfortable.
Andrew.

I was speaking with the Liverpool wader company before making the original post, it was they who told me that Hunters were no longer being made ....

Bit of a minefield really, I have been out this afternoon, trying a few of popular makes, all either made from pitifully thin rubber, no steel shank, soles so thin that had I put in studs they would have gone straight through.

I have looked at the Vass ones, apart from not being rubber they dont look too bad, but there are a few bad reports if you do an extended google on em !

I must be a picky so and so, I dont like stocking foot waders either, tried a pair one time and ended up with gravel inside the boot, just have a feeling that gravel = holes in soles, may be wrong on that one, but they were uncomfortable though.

Q...What is so difficult about finding what I want ?
A.... Everything at the moment !

Andrew, I will look at the Oceans, but I dont think they have a steel shank as far as I can remember.

Dave.

Dave,

I am right with you on this one.

It is almost impossible to get a decent set of heavy duty rubber waders which is both confusing and very frustrating.

I have been trying for a couple of years now and am fed up with inferior quality alternatives.

Please let me know if you have a eureka moment and discover the 'Holy Grail';)

i used dunlop rubber waders , studded and steel shanked but it was a real long time ago, get in touch with em they may still stock em for cuncils or sewage workers ect., worth a try

I have been on the Dunlop websit, they appear to still make rubber waders, but not to the spec I am and a few others are wanting. i.e, studded, steel shank.. no steel toecap.This is what they have.

Scroll through the selections..

Select a boot | Dunlop Boots

E.mail sent and awaiting reply.. if I will actually get a reply remains to be seen.

Dave

The gravel getting in wading boots is only a problem if gravel guards aren't used, and on rocks or mud they're not necessary anyway.
I find the flexibility of stockingfoots very much a plus point in that you can wear a choice of footwear, wading boots, trainers etc, to suit the terrain and different waders likewise, breathables in hot weather, neoprene in the winter, rubber clambering over rocks.
Good luck with your search.

This morning at 9.15 am I really had a suprise, the e.mail I sent to Dunlop actually ended up in Belgium, the contents were forwarded to the National Accounts manager in UK, who rang me up at home.
Unfortunatley he had no good news for me re the type of wader I had been looking for, he confirmed that the Hunter waders had been discontinued,seems that somehow they and Dunlop are/were linked in some way.
He went on to say that since the developement of the PU waders , rubber has been sort of put on the back burner by Dunlop the industrial waders made by Dunlop,are also made of PU, but dont have the Studs/Steel shank.

In short, it seems I will not be able to find what I want.

He also said that if I could find around 12000 people who wanted that type of wader then it would probably be enough to do a run of them ! ( Made of PU though, not rubber )

If there are 11999 of you out there please get back to me and I will see what happens
then !

BTW, since starting this thread I have found a Vass PU wader with a studded, very thick thick sole, and it will probably have to do.

It seems that even though they did not have any good news, a multi National like Dunlop do actually take time to reply to their customers enquiries.

Dave

Back