• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chimera flood and snag

Karl Heptonstall

Looking at getting one of these built. Have read plenty of good reviews. Does anyone use one or know of any reasons not to buy one?

Hi Karl I've had one for a good few years & if I'm honest it's a bit of a poker.. I got Bob Gill to make me a couple of Torrix flood rods which I find much more forgiving.
I fish braid so that may be worth taking into account & the Chimera is 11ft 6in if I remember rightly.

I'd give one a try before you buy if you can.. This is just my opinion.

Good luck

Picked mine up off the shelf at walkers of trowell, love it too bits and chose it over the torrix 12ft 2lb, I then brought a second hand torrix 2lbtc and think the chimera is head and shoulders by far the better rod, I laso fish with braid mainlibe and have had no problems

I own 2 ( Won one in a competition and managed to pick second one up cheap on Ebay) and they are beast rods.I use one when fishing snaggy waters with big fish,you can stop big barbel dead in their tracks if you need to. If you come across Carp on your rivers they are also easily controlled. I would not buy one as a general Barbel rod but if you are feeling under gunned playing bigger fish then this rod is probably the answer.Like Steve said it might be a good idea to see before you buy because they will not suit everyone.Anyone live near to Karl with one ?

Karl I snapped the top 4 inch off my Chimera after hooking a tree:( but obviously the butt section is fine if you could get a top section it maybe cheaper than buying a full rod.. You can have what's left of the rod for nowt..pm me if your interested..I don't live far.
Btw the pair of Torrix rods I got were the flood rods which are 2.5lb tc ideal for the tidal..

Thanks for the replies, Steve that's a very generous offer, I'll take you up on it! Can't accept it for nowt but I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.
Spoke to the guys at harrisons who recommended a chimera 2 so could end up with both :)

Dave, have never seen the Martin bowler big river rod but its 12 feet long and the Chimera mentioned is 11ft 6 in. I saw the video produced for Martins rod and it looks a softer rod. I used to joke i could tow a truck with my chimera a pin and some heavy line.

Dave, have never seen the Martin bowler big river rod but its 12 feet long and the Chimera mentioned is 11ft 6 in. I saw the video produced for Martins rod and it looks a softer rod. I used to joke i could tow a truck with my chimera a pin and some heavy line.

Hmmm...interesting Mark, and thanks for the reply mate. I fish a stretch which has a 'mythical monster' which has snapped several lads up and is not thought to be a barbel. it apparently takes off at a steady pace and, well...just keeps going. Crack! There were rumours of a cat some time back, and I suspect that is what it is.

I just fancied having a try for it, and be in with a chance...but not horribly over gunned for the barbel. However, I cannot afford too much at this time in my life, with the issues I have. Probably just a pipe dream...but a nice one. Besides, I have some lovely through action 2.25 tc carp rods which would do at a pinch.

Cheers, Dave.

Keep a look out for a 2nd hand Snag n Flood Dave, it's awesome when putting the brakes on a big un. I've seen them go for as little as £70 in good condition.

just ordered myself one from a local rod builder

I don't believe it Gaz (said in my best Victor Meldrew voice). Are you telling me that you and Mark have ordered FOUR between you...and yet you didn't think to get another one thrown in for me as a belated christmas present :eek: I am deeply hurt :eek:

I shall have to have a rethink about the box of pies I was about to send :D

Cheers, Dave.

bungalow brains ,nowt upstairs!

no dave not four but three rods between three of us,one of whom is gaz,who cant read a previous post:eek:

Aaah man, now you've spoilt it Mark. I had fun visions of you sat there with a carp pod with your three rods pointing skyward...then getting three barbel on at once. Made me smile :D

Cheers, Dave.

the thought of these three cranks walking in to the rod builders house asking for the names on the rods had me chuckling today dave :D

Back