• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

shimano technium line

Ben Jennings

Going to respool my reels and fancy trying a different line than the pro clear I have at the moment. I fancy trying one of the shimano technium line either the invisitec or black. Has anyone used either? I'm leaning towards the black at the moment has anyone used a black mainline? Would it stand out too much? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Ben, been using shimano technium "smoke" for a few years and found no problems with it, that smoky colour is almost invisible in the river mate

Been using Shimano Technium Invisitec the last couple of seasons. Lower stretch than standard mono, sinks and is tough. Use it in 8 (0.26mm) , 10(0.30mm) and 12 (0.33mm). Low vis grey. Prefer this to the 'black' and camo versions Good line albeit expensive.

Cheers
Bob

I use 12lb .33mm technium original, its not black its grey but looks black when tight on a spool its the best line available ,ive cast it 160 yards on carp rod straight through with no leader, it sinks reallly well it breaks miles above the stated strain and you can barely see it in the water, abrasion resitance and knot strength is as good as ive seen, the lack of stretch helps bite detection and line pickup. It has slightly different properties to mono and lasts a lot longer on the spool so doesnt need changing as often. I wont use another mono style line for my fishing as long as they make it.

Used the Invistec last season in 10lb and wasn't impressed at all with its memory so went back to Pro Tough. (again!)

I've heard a few people say about the invisitec can twist. Is the technium smoke the black version Or is it the ininvisitec?

There was nothing wrong with pro clear just fancied the technium as it has half the stretch of normal mono and thought it would help bite detection.

The original Technium, which had a maroon coloured label on the spool, is sadly no longer available. I say sadly, because it was the best line I ever used. All these versions available now...Invisitech, Black, match and bolo and so on, are different lines as far as I can see. It seems Shimano just carry on calling it Technium because that name had a big following.

Cheers, Dave.

I just about remember a maroon shimano line, i never tried it but i cant see how it can be better than the black/grey one. I dont see why tackle companys stop making certain products that are so popular eg shimano catana wprld renowned for being a good line

matthew if its bombproof and never let you down then is it really expensive or is it good value for the money mate?

I just about remember a maroon shimano line, i never tried it but i cant see how it can be better than the black/grey one. I dont see why tackle companys stop making certain products that are so popular eg shimano catana wprld renowned for being a good line

Actually Lewis, it wasn't the line that was maroon, it was the label on the spool.

However, you hit the nail on the head with your second comment...it was Catana I was meaning, not Technium....I am getting to be a senile old pirrock :D

Cheers, Dave

Rumour was shimano tribal was catana rebranded but ive heard that that was rubbish?? Theres still a bit of it about on ebay etc and few tackleshops. Catana was a good line but imo didnt sink fast enuff when used on lakes tho it did sink eventually, technium does it all and is well worth the money

Rumour was shimano tribal was catana rebranded but ive heard that that was rubbish?? Theres still a bit of it about on ebay etc and few tackleshops. Catana was a good line but imo didnt sink fast enuff when used on lakes tho it did sink eventually, technium does it all and is well worth the money

Yes Lewis, thats what i was led to believe, so thats not the case then ? I've not used either so couldn't say one way or the other.

I knew Carp anglers who used the original Technium and one of its downsides was it went all curly and horrible after it was put under any pressure, i take it thats not the case now ? i like the idea of lines like this, Berkley Iron Silk is another, i used that for a while and never had any problems with it it but others (more than a few !) did, thats been re vamped as well.

Back