• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Catching in the rain

Luke Agacy

I've never had much luck catching while it's actually raining.

The last 2 sessions iv'e done in the rain - I have had a fish about 15 minutes after the rain has stopped each time.

This has got me thinking that maybe the rain hitting the water puts them off a little bit as it might suppress their ability to sense danger (sound, vibrations in the water etc.) and then when the rain has stopped they feel more confident to come out of cover and feed.

Maybe I'm thinking into it too much and you're all going to tell that ytou've had your best sessions in the rain :D

Has anyone had any luck catching barbel in the rain?

Hardly ever Luke...I've found it to be the 'kiss of death'. Yeah I've had plenty of action, say, 15mins after a heavy downpour...but hardly a single fish whilst its actually been chucking it down.
Strange eh!
ATVB
Terry

I'd put a lot of my poor catch rate in the rain down to my general lethargy, much preferring to sit it out in one spot under a brolly rather than being proactive.

Caught plenty of barbel in the rain when it's coincided with a rapidly rising river. Possibly the best conditions you can get on the WA. Generally though, I have found other fishing difficult when it's raining. What I have found is that rain clearing away to fine weather, particularly on a summer's evening after a wet day, can be exceptionally good conditions. I always considered this to be due to a rise in air pressure as the low pressure system moves away. A clearing evening after a miserable day is very uplifting, the blackbirds and thrushes sing and the pigeons call and everything seems to be rejoicing in the improved weather. Maybe fish feel the same way?

Back