• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Particle baits ?

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
I was wondering if any one has tried useing some thing different to Hempeed as a particle bait ?

Having looked around my local supermarkets and continental food stores with what they now stock on their shelves , Pulses ,Beans , Lentils and prices seem cheap compared with hempseed .

joe, the best way is to find out for yourself mate
1st try out on a stretch thats got a good head of barbel in it size is immaterial,
2ndly try baiting up with it at various spots, summer/autumn time is obviously the best time, make sure your beds of baited areas (small) are visible so you can check if the baits been cleaned up, then spend a bit of time in the areas that have to see what species are accepting it.
black eyed beans (flavoured) work at times, small amounts of stewed wheat dyed and flavoured can work, rape seed works fine,its really all about putting stuff in and observation,
you can put in a mixture of particles and see what goes, what stays and whos eating what, its something that your better off experimenting with yourself mate, after doing that and figuring stuff out you,ll be able to tackle any water and figure things out to a fashion, good luck:)

Hi John, if you,ve tried this yourself, could you give us your results please, pretty please, :D;) many thanks :)

I did rather well a few seasons ago using pigeon conditioner and a few pellets mixed together and dropped out.

Another vote for pigeon conditioner.

It's incredibly cheap, about a tenner for a 25kg sack from any feed merchant or similar. There are often different types of mix also, with various particles and sizes and the variety flavoured with aniseed is always popular!

Joe - Keith Speer did an article on baiting with maples. This should give you some confidence when using a new bait. I guess any/all seeds will work.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/barbel-talk/7721-ever-thought-pre-baiting.html

Worth taking a gander in John Staytes store on the Kingsditch Estate if you've not already done so. Buying by the sack load for the regular angler makes a lot of sense. Beware though, as the choice is bewildering

Cheltenham > Calor Gas > Fishing Baits

They also sell pellet and boilie but I wouldn't recommend as this often sits around for years. The type of angler buying sacks of bait doesn't usually buy 1kg bags of boilies. The seed/pulses however turn over quite quickly and are good quality. I've had Maize, Hemp & Pidgeon Conditioner from them over many years. I've not yet had the need or desire to use any other seed

Maggots and caster are superb particle baits and when used in conjunction with hemp can be irresistible to barbel.

Catching them on the float is the ultimate!

Best wishes,

Hugo

I used to use Poultry feed, I kept Geese at the time, and bulk buying made it a good viable alternative, it consisted of a variety of seeds , pulses etc, and worked well if soaked in hot water for 48 hrs prior to use..I used it to spod out when after Bream and Tench on Big reservoirs.

Another bait I have seen used to good effect on the Ribble is 6mm Ewe nuts, they are a compound Sheep feed which give additional nutrition to Lambing Ewes when out on grass silage or hay.
I have seen thes used both as a feed and a hookbait, also high protein lamb pellets, used as above.
I dont suppose that the farm based particles as above have any ill effects on the watery inhabitants of the rivers we fish, they probably end up in the rivers naturally anyway, at least, I have not seen any wooly Barbel or Chub , any more so than I have seen Barbel with Spam written on their flanks. :0)

The possibilities are endless.

Dave

Not wishing to put a dampener on all this good advice, but does anyone know the problems that might occur with putting animal feeds into watercourses?

Good point Neil, I touched upon the subject in the last line of my last post.I would think that animal feeds would have equal or less effect than all the rubbish that goes into boilies etc, but then again I am in no position to give a balanced argument.
I do remember that some years ago there was a rumour that the beds of some carp ponds were slowly becoming smothered in a bed of "lard" from the digested fatty remains of Spam being defecated by the fish, I dont know how much truth there was in that either.

Dave

Used to use canary conditioner and budgie conditioner,for some reason they were different seeds, (looked just like partiblend) mixed together and boiled and then fermented in a bucket for a few days worked very well,used to use maize on a the hair.

Used to use canary conditioner and budgie conditioner,for some reason they were different seeds, (looked just like partiblend) mixed together and boiled and then fermented in a bucket for a few days worked very well,used to use maize on a the hair.

A good additional point on the fermenting aspect Mark. I've found that using 'ripe' bait improves catches, or certainly does no harm. :)

I make a point now of ensuring all my particles get plenty of sun exposure in the garden and on the bank. In fact a couple of years ago following a freezer failure I 'rescued' a whole sacks worth of maize by allowing it to sit fermenting, in water filled buckets, outdoors, the whole summer. I just took what I wanted when I wanted it. (I had to remove the odd wasp or two but that's a small price to pay :D ) I'm sure Barbel will respond to this 'trick' as other species do.

Joe - Keith Speer did an article on baiting with maples. This should give you some confidence when using a new bait. I guess any/all seeds will work.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/barbel-talk/7721-ever-thought-pre-baiting.html

Worth taking a gander in John Staytes store on the Kingsditch Estate if you've not already done so. Buying by the sack load for the regular angler makes a lot of sense. Beware though, as the choice is bewildering

Cheltenham > Calor Gas > Fishing Baits

They also sell pellet and boilie but I wouldn't recommend as this often sits around for years. The type of angler buying sacks of bait doesn't usually buy 1kg bags of boilies. The seed/pulses however turn over quite quickly and are good quality. I've had Maize, Hemp & Pidgeon Conditioner from them over many years. I've not yet had the need or desire to use any other seed

Steve it funny you should mention John Staytes services I used to buy pellets from him a few years ago . I will certainly go and have a look some time to see what particals he has in stock . As you say the list is endless ?

derek, the blackies and wheat worked on some occasions but its a slow hard job and the wheat can overfeed em blackies brought em around at times, the rapeseed is an excellent attraction, my idea was to get the guy thinking , trying and looking, the big supermarkets are full of particles.
Niel, if the same feeds were put into well know bait companies packaging would you have asked the same question because most of it comes from animal feed supplies

derek, the blackies and wheat worked on some occasions but its a slow hard job and the wheat can overfeed em blackies brought em around at times, the rapeseed is an excellent attraction, my idea was to get the guy thinking , trying and looking, the big supermarkets are full of particles.
Niel, if the same feeds were put into well know bait companies packaging would you have asked the same question because most of it comes from animal feed supplies

Well I suppose we are left to the behest of these companies as to what ingredients are added, certainly I don't think we can have a break down as to what goes in these baits as to what the benefits or otherwise they have to wild fish stocks.

Of course rivers have an advantage over still waters just in case there might be a problem, but some still waters do ban certain feeds because of the problems they can cause.

Spam was focused on back a few years ago by our own Ray Walton, and I think Fred Crouch, the Royalty barbel were showing signs of small deformities that were attributed to Spam as a possible culprit and with growth hormones in the meat being the suspect here.

Just what chucking in copious amounts of Ewe nuts would do, I guess we don't know, but I would bet there would be no advantages to fish stocks or the general health of the watercourse, ask yourselves would you feed that to your prize Koi?

Neil, i remember well when Ray 1st got involved with spam and barbels deformities on their barbules ect way back in his days of fishing one of my favourite barbel spots (kings weir) back then most guys wouldnt have dared go there without a can of real spam, the piles of spam tins on the banks was horrendous but the fish, all the fish loved it

derek i was talking about 1960s and 1970s mate , yes the growths started way back in the 60s/70s, i spent so much time at kings weir and the river you wouldn,t beleive mate:)

Back