• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooks for boilie fishing

Luke Agacy

I used to use Korda Kurve Shank in a size 8 for boilie fishing and seemed to always get a decent hook hold and pick up most my bites. After reading various articles etc. I changed to size 8 Drennan Barbel hooks (which are smaller), and don’t seem to be hitting as many bites. I’m going to go back to the Kurve Shanks and see if it makes a difference.

I know different brands are slightly different sizes.

What size hooks do you use for your barbel boilie fishing and why?

What size boilie? How long is your hair? Do you use mono or braid?

I stopped using the Drennan barbel hooks due to a number of hook points turning over. Switched to the Drennan Specimen Plus this season, they have a curved beak and I have to say they are superb. Used many times on the Kennet and a few on the Wye in various sizes with no problems. Hook hold excellent and no issues with the hook point turning over. Well worth a look.

I stopped using the Drennan barbel hooks due to a number of hook points turning over. Switched to the Drennan Specimen Plus this season, they have a curved beak and I have to say they are superb. Used many times on the Kennet and a few on the Wye in various sizes with no problems. Hook hold excellent and no issues with the hook point turning over. Well worth a look.

I'm with you Darren, I had the same experiences with the Drennan barbel hooks as you did so I changed to Drennen Specimen plus hooks been using them for about 3 seasons now with no issues, top quality hooks, stay sharp, don't blunt & extremely strong!
Highly recommend!

Many hooks are barbed or micro barbed. What would you use as a barbless hook? And don't say take off the barbs as my club specifies manufactured as barbless! I have tried various ones but can't seem to find one I really like

The size of hook is dependent of many different factors so will change regular from a 12 to a 6 probably. Sure that some of the meat men use larger than that.

ESP Curve Shank Barbless Hook

I like the ESP Curve Shank Barbless Hook, 6 or 4 depending on the size of bait, I personally do not like using 8's with a hair, unless using maggots or caster.

I also like the Fox Arma Point, the combination of short shank, wide gape and a gently curved point produces solid, reliable hook holds and makes it ideal for use over gravel, helps to stop the point blunting.

When using boilies I've been quite happy with the Drennan Boilie hooks that come in the chrome finish packet,not the Continental ones.Bit expensive but have never let me down using sizes 8 and 10 mainly.

Back