• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Method fishing .

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men ,

Did this a little bit a few winters ago on the Kennet and caught a fair few fish , is it a tatic that people use as first choice thorugh the year ?.

Hatter

have used the principles of method fishing, ie soft mushed pellet* in the feeder or moulded round the lead, compressed to breakdown slowly.

I think the Barbel like the softened pellet as it goes straight through 'em.

But I haven't used a method feeder approach as short hook-links for barbel are not something I would be confident in (without back-leading).

Also on the method theme, for most of my winter fishing I tend to use boilie hook-baits covered in No-Egg-Paste, layered with liquids and powders on the outside. So in a way my hook-bait is a mini-method ball of its own.

I had a spell of using it on the Severn for a couple of years, convinced myself it made a difference but now gone back to standard feeders as they hold the bottom better. Do occasionally use it on slower swims.

Hi men ,

Ash , i was talking about a standard set up , rather than the short hooklength etc , but with pellet / groundbait / hemp etc moulded around your weight . I also like the " malteser" type of hookbait , dipping and coating a few times , puting liquid attractors in the swim .

Hatter

I've started doing the scalded pellets around a "gripper" style lead this season....

So far it hasn't made a blind bit of difference:(

Back