• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upper severn barbel around welshpool

Jack Freeman

Im around newtown/welshpool alot on the weekends and that part of the severn just fasicnates me! Id love to have a barbel out of there, i cant find much info tho, im looking to fish either pool quay baa stretch, forden baa stretch or the maa lower leighton bridge stretch! Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

When I was a member of Nantwich Angling Society they had rights to a stretch at Leighton Bridge, I didn't get around to fishing there but did hear that there were reasonable numbers of barbel present.

Thanks for the reply mate! Im gonna try under leighton bridge this weekend see how it goes, still intrested too hear about pool quay as ive read people have been snapped there but never landed anythink! Theres also some 10+ barbel catches ive seen on the internet but all they tell you is caught around welshpool! No other info! I want my first barbel to be an upper sever before i start fishing mid severn :D

I know that 10lb fish have been taken at the Lymm AC stretch at Llandrinio, not far from Pool Quay, but I've never fished there. A smaller river may make barbel more vulnerable to our favourite furry creatures up in that neck of the woods though I suspect.

thanks for the info mate just looked at some of the stretches they own looks very nice :) they must have gone through pool quay to get there :) looks better waters llandrinio though thanks.

Jack - I used to be a Lymm member.....you can get a Severn only ticket for about 40 quid or so. They have water around Shrewsbury too.

llandrinio is closer to middle severn than pool quay isnt it, yes i seen that £40 for the severn ticket, i think id rather the baa ticket mate because im between brum and newtown so could fish anywhere inbetween think ill give pool quay ago thanks for the help :)

llandrinio is closer to middle severn than pool quay isnt it, yes i seen that £40 for the severn ticket, i think id rather the baa ticket mate because im between brum and newtown so could fish anywhere inbetween think ill give pool quay ago thanks for the help :)

They're both classed as Upper Severn.....I've heard Buttington Bridge is also worth a bash, that's above Pool Quay, there are barbel there.

Hi Jack,

The weed died off some years ago and the majority of the barbel went with it unfortunately, there are areas where they turn up from time to time but you really have to put the hours in...and lots of them!...if you're new to barbel fishing and have never caught before I'd strongly suggest going to the Middle first and upping the tally then coming back. 'Monstro' is a great story to get the juices flowing but I've yet to catch any barbel of epic proportions. I've seen photos of the 15's...they're not. Although a couple I've not seen are reported to be genuine, all from the 90's mind you! You're doing extremely well with a 10lb+ fish these days.
If you want to sit in the most beautiful surroundings on the upper it has to be the Lymm AC stretch at Llandrinio, you have a good chance of bumping into fish there...up from the bridge is the Monty and Albert beats, I'd give them a miss.
Leighton is as dead as a dodo, poachers have netted it many times and whatever travellers make their way upstream are soon chased off by the family of otters that reside there. Pool Quay is good for big chub if you're into that sort of thing and some barbel will hang round there in summer and autumn. Buttington holds them too.
There are a few private beats that fish very well, from what I can tell this is simply because the predators are 'shuffled' along by the owners and the fish know it so they hold up in these 'safe zones', there is certainly no bait going in to hold them. Prime game water you see. Costs you a few quid in beer for the farmers to fish these bits.
I've had them up to Abermule but there have been sightings as far as Caersws apparently...people do talk a lot round 'ere after a few though.
Get yourself the Lymm ticket and BAA and you'll be fine. You'll have a bit of the Vyrnwy then too.......now that does have big fish :)

We`ve fished the Maesydd on the BAA card and my mate managed an 8 plusser from the swim closest to the car park! Obvious spot really, deep corner, nice moody water. I`ve spent a good few hours on the Five (our nickname for the river as its too small to be the `Severn`) but have yet to catch one of the barbel. Just seeing one on the bank was nice though!

Just as an aside and I`m not saying a word of a lie here............my mate fished Rhyddesgyn a good few years back after chub in coloured water. He was near the brook entrance and caught.......and honestly, I`m not having you on.......a 6lb tench, 9, 10 & 12lb bream!!!!!!!!! If it was anyone but my mate who I trust I`d have thought they were pulling my leg!

Theres some surprises on the Five if you put the hours in and get lucky!!!

Thanks for the replies lads, gonna give the baa stretches ago as i have the card, gonna try pool quay or buttington bridge still undecided! Gonna go for chub and see what happens! Im originaly brum and work in brum but down newtown on weekends so gonna put some hours in up these waters! I love that i probably wont see a soul all day! Even if i dont catch it will be a great day in my books :) tight lines lads

Hi Jack.....just picked this up.
I used to fish the MAA Leighton stretch..... It yielded my first double with several nines...... I used to watch them spawning in the shallow water down from the weir but in the last two seasons they appear to have moved off..... I know there is a family of otters with a holt under the road bridge. I was doing an auction day there 3 years ago and when the light went I had four pairs of eyes in the weir..... Bitch and 3 pups.... Hardly surprising the barbel have moved on.

Hi Jack.....just picked this up.
I used to fish the MAA Leighton stretch..... It yielded my first double with several nines...... I used to watch them spawning in the shallow water down from the weir but in the last two seasons they appear to have moved off..... I know there is a family of otters with a holt under the road bridge. I was doing an auction day there 3 years ago and when the light went I had four pairs of eyes in the weir..... Bitch and 3 pups.... Hardly surprising the barbel have moved on.

thanks for the reply mate, i went there a few weeks ago and had a look, one of the locals said theres been alot of poaching there aswell! looks a lovely stretch and probably wouldnt even see another angler on the day shame its not as good as it used to be! i tryed pool quay before the season ended all i had was a eel!

Yeah thats it rob, well im up newtown powys neally every weekend and lonely on a sat while the mrs is shopping so ill have lots of spare time for the upper severn:) the place fascinates me! roll on june!

Get a fly rod for up there!

I've had a barbel out of pool quay on the baa, first and only time i fished it, few years ago now mind.

Back