• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Value of a Fred Crouch Emerald Centerpin

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I have a Fred Crouch Emerald Limited Edition centerpin that I'm going to sell. It's got a little certificate signed by Fred and the wooden box.

The trouble is it doesn't spin as you'd want it to for trotting, it rubs slightly and briefly as it spins. It also has tiny paint chip.

Does anyone have a feel for what I should ask for it?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, if the drum is rubbing as it spins this will undoubtedly be because the back of the drum is just rubbing against the back plate at some point. It only needs just the slightest bit of misalignment for this to happen and I had the very same with my Crouchy. All you need to do is the rub the outside edge of the drum plate with some fine wet'n'dry to take off this high point and it should spin freely. I shouldn't worry about taking off the paint on this edge at all, as if you do it all around the edge it will look ok.

The crouch is never really considered much of a trotting reel anyhow: too much inertia needed to get that big drum moving, so I doubt anyone would really buy it with that in mind.

Price: not too sure what they are new now, but if you can get it spinning freely and allowing for the chipped paint then ask for about 3/4 of the new price and then adjust accordingly till it sells.

Back