• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

First Barbel

Hi guys new to the forum been fishing about 10 years and have caught all sorts of species but have never managed to catch a barbel and I've been really drawn to the species recently would be fishing the river Loddon so was wondering if anyone could give me any advice

Many thanks

Sean.

Don't try invent the wheel. Used tried and tested tactics before refining them.

The rewards are great on this hard water, but time on the bank, observing the river in the closed season when clear and finding out where...
Paul Monaghan
Steve Reed
and Steve Double fish would be a good start.

Graham

Thanks for the reply Graham I was thinking of just hair rigging luncheon meat or a halibut pellet hopefully that will produce

Fish a spot known to contain Barbel, fish it sensibly and put in some time and everything else should sort itself out.

Was planning on fishing the lower section of stanford end heard its an easier section out of the few on the farnham ticket and I have a bit of a problem with that I don't know or speak to anyone who barbel fishes so don't know of any going spots

Was planning on fishing the lower section of stanford end heard its an easier section out of the few on the farnham ticket and I have a bit of a problem with that I don't know or speak to anyone who barbel fishes so don't know of any going spots

Hi Sean,

I'm not familiar with the upper reaches and so can't really offer much in the way of advice for this particular stretch. Also us anglers can be a secretive bunch so you might struggle to get the info you desire.
I struggled initially fishing the Loddon as kept chopping and changing methods, bait and location until my confidence grew.
As has already been said you need to put some time and effort in to find a method that suits you, as there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Fish little and often if you can and keep mobile. Early morning or evening into dark are probably the most productive.
Get to know who fishes there and watch them if you struggle. If you see them catch don't jump into that swim, as remember this is the gentleman's river and finding you're own barbel will be much more satisfying.
Good luck in your quest and look forward to seeing some captures in the gallery or on the rivers thread.

Paul

Thanks I'll try find likely looking areas and use the old methods got 6lb line on my river fishing set up would it be worth stepping up

Yes Sean, I would step up the mainline. I use 8lb in low, clear, snag free areas and 10lb for pretty much any other situation on the Kennet. You should match to a rod with at least 1.5lb test curve, with 1.75lb being a good all rounder. Don't forget a decent sized net and unhooking mat for when that first Loddon barbel arrives.

I think there is a Berkshire Barbel Society event in mid April (Graham and Paul will be there amongst others). I would get along to that if you can and you can get some further help and advice.

Sean

I agree with all of the wise words above. The important thing is don't give up! Keep it simple and persevere with a well chosen quality bait and the fish will come. Listening to the distilled wisdom of Paul and Graham on the 15th April will give you a big head start.

Steve

Hi Sean,

Another way to fast track things would be to put yourself down to one of FAS's barbel teach-ins down at Stanford End which I think normally take place during June or July.

Otherwise all the above advice is excellent. I too fell victim to chopping and changing things too much, so once you find something that works for you, stick with it.

Also read Ian Grant's blogs in the Articles section here. And once you've finished reading them, wait a month - then read them again!

Cheers,

Steve

Back