• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scale calibration

Ray Ellis

Does anyone know where i can send a set of Avon scales to get them calibrated, and any idea how much it costs.

Ray,
Food shops have to get their scales checked regularly by Weights and Measures (Trading Standards I suppose in today's parlance) take your scales to the supermarket, weigh some spuds on their hanging scale and compare weight on your Avons. Repat at two or three different weights, it'll give you an inkling as to how your scales are performing.
regards
Bill

Try your local tackle shop, the ones in this area (Bournemouth) have weights to check scales. They us them to verify the scales for entering specimens for RDAA trophies.

hello Ray, one pint of water weighs 20 ounces, get a large bucket, pour in water at say one pint check weigt, then carry on adding a pint at a time until you reach your max weight these should in turn weigh 11/4 lb for every pint put in
if all reads true up to your desired weight then try it again in calibrations of say 1 pint in divisions of 20 ozs, if only some of it rings true then chuck the avons away and buy new ones mate, i just bought a real nice set of digital reubon heatons for £34, my gues is to get yours recalibrated by a decent scales repairerwill cost best part of that mate, try oiling the springs bfore you try test.:)

I got two old 5ltr plastic lacquer containers, filled one with sand to the top, the other about a third full. Took them to the post office and weighed them on their scales, which have to be regularly calibrated. I wrote the weight on the side of each and just check them every so often on my scales. Easy. I think the heaviest of the two was about 25lb plus a few ounces and lighter one 8lb plus the ounces.

ray, sometimes if scales cant/wont calibrate true you can get accurate low figures but these distort as the scale goes up in range or vice versa heavy correct but distorted as you go down in range, good luck mate:)

Yo JW. Been weighing bags of spuds, sugar and all sorts of unopened stuff. The scales seem pretty accurate, close enough not to worry about it

good for you ray, still unpacking and getting registered with stuff, cant wait to get back on the thames its loving the thames what made me move mate:)

Ray, one imperial gallon weighs 9.994 lbs. In our language, that is exactly 10.00 lbs :D Depending what your scales go up to, zero your scales once a container is hung onto it, then use JW's pints for low range scales, for bigger scales, add a gallon to the container for every 10 lbs your scales go up to.

Cheers, Dave.

Back