• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Soft and sinking line

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All, been doing a bit of pool/pond fishing for perch and am looking for a soft and sinking (mono) line. I found some 6lb bs Drennan Plus in my 'line box' but its like wire compared to the Krystonite I'm used to. 6lb Drennan Plus is the same thickness as 8lb Krystonite (0.25mm), but MUCH springier. Don't want to go much below 6lb as there's a few carp in there to ~15lb.
Soooo...super soft and fast sinking???? Any suggestions?

Any flourocarbon sinks like a stone, Riverge is very good and quite soft.
I've no experience of using it as a mainline, mainly for fly fishing. Don't know if it's still available but Maxima was always recommended as a sinking line.

Thanks Paul, but Riverge is much stiffer than I'd like. Would love to use fluoro (for its sinking properties) but every fluoro on the market is very stiff compared to nylon/mono.
Many thanks again.
Terry

Hi Deano..its just that I had a horrible time on Friday with the Drennan Plus looping off my spools and tangling, and I've never had that with Krystonite (which I've used over the last 8yrs in various strengths, and always been V happy with). Cant get it in 1000m in 6lb though, just 150m. Am used to limp.
Now, now, enough of that:)
Cheers
Terry

I'm using braid (6lb) hook-lenth, am just looking for a super-soft mono/nylon, preferably that sinks well, as mainline to use with it. I'm light link-ledgering in about 8ft of slightly murky water, so I'm more than happy with braid (and its 'visibility') next to the hook. I trust it more than I do fluoro too.

Hi Terry, When I match fished I used to have a few sessions on a carp puddle in the close season, I know you don't like the idea of pre stretched but I used to fish 6lb silstar match on the waggler and had no probs getting carp to 10lb out. If you want to go to 8lb (0.20mm) that might sink better than the 6lb. It's only the stiffer rods I use that I don't use it now. When I fished match rods I couldn't fault it, I used it for everything.

Many thanks Gra, I have a look-see.
Cheers to all.
ATVB
T

PS.... Just ordered 200m of it Gra, so if I get a snap-off on the strike, its all YOUR fault mate!!:)

Preston Reflo Power whilst having a relatively low diameter has really good stretch and a forgiving suppleness.

It was recommended to me by the great Keith Speer;)

Nuf said:)

Many thanks Keith (and by extraction, KS), I see they do a great range of it...and its supple but THIN!
Will take a look-see.
ATVB
Terry

Back