• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A message from Amy Stringer (Steve's daughter)

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've had a nice message from Amy, Steve Stringer's daughter that I thought you'd all like to see:

"I just wanted to let you know that we’ve finally got round to planting a tree in memory of dad down by the river where he was fishing on the day he died.

We have planted an English Oak, as per the land owner’s request, with a plaque beside it. It’s quite small (about 5.5ft) and we are waiting on a more sturdy base for the plaque but any one fishing along there will be able to see it now.

The tree and plaque were approx. £108 so the remaining £200 will go towards MS research. Dad suffered with MS for over 30 years and all donations at the funeral went to the research department at Southampton Hospital who are looking into this horrible disease and we hope this money will go towards finding a way of making the lives easier for those suffering with MS.

Thank you to all of those who donated in memory of dad – we remain touched at the kindness of you all and hope that the tree will be a reminder of someone who loved to spend his time by the river waiting to catch the perfect fish.

Wishing you all the best.

Amy Stringer"

--

Regards,

Andy

Well done Amy. I will take a walk down the Lower Benyons and have a look at the Oak tree and Plaque. Rest in peace Steve.

Well done to all concerned, a lovely gesture. An English oak...there is something very fitting about that, a great choice.

I just hope the tree and plaque survive. Having seen some of the soul destroying vandalism the mindless morons in our midst are capable of inflicting when they see something that others obviously care about, that is always a worry :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

The helpful thing Dave is that its not on the public footpath at LB and nice high stinging nettles deter casual walkers from going down there so hopefully it will survive as a memorial to Steve

There's a plaque set back upstream from the footpath that's been there unmolested for many years. Forgive me I forget the name just now, but when Del and the RDAA boys cut the footpaths each year on LB it's a nice touch that they always clear a path to it. I reckon Amy can be reassured it'll be OK.

Yes Nick that's true.

I'll take a tot and have a drink to Steve when I'm there next.

Very sad day that as we chatted on the bank just prior to his sad departure.

Graham

Back