• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel, lake Geneva /Rhone.

Simon Lush

A few years ago i spent a few days in Geneva with my wife, one day whilst looking off one of the bridges where the river exits the lake i spotted a group of Barbel, some pretty big, anyone have any idea what type they are ?

Simon

Did you see the perch traps and the perch they catch over there? The locals said they catch them to 6 or 7 lbs. Massive fish and on the menu at many restaurants in Montreaux

Mike

Does Barbus Barbus grow any larger than our current record weight abroad? Does the warmer climate affect their optimum weight? Just curious really..... imagine what a 25lb+ Barbel would be like!

Mike, funny you should say that, no i didn't see any traps but i did have a plate of little Perch on the waterfront at Montreux, stunningly beautiful looking across the lake to the Alps, Perch were delicious.

Dan, couple of the fish i saw were well into double figures but could never really find out much about them, hence the question.

Back