• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Landrover Defender/L200 Warrior

Tony Carter

Considering one of these for my fishing trips at the weekends as using the mrs car at the moment and she wants it back !

Anyone have some experience with either vehicle not after comfort just a fishing jalopy !

Had a Defender 90, comfort it most defiantly isn't! If you don't mind getting your hands dirty fixing it then you will enjoy it, but this will come with owning one. It's great for chucking bits in the back without too much worry. A great fishing car. Bare in mind the back isn't particularly long (although there are 110 van versions), your rods may still extend to the front (or back if a 110) seats a little but this isn't too much of a worry.

Haven't tried an L200 or anything similar (was looking at a hi-lux at one point) but my concern with those is that you only have the length of the pickup bed, which looks to me (love someone to clarify this) as they will all be too short to take 12ft rods. At least with the Defender (unless you go for the double cab version) you have a lot more length to play with!!!

I'll echo what Chris says, I've had several Defenders now, they're a great utility vehicle, noisy, slow and uncomfortable especially if you're tall. They can take any abuse you like but you'll soon get familiar with spanners and Britpart.
Avoid the Td5 engine if you can, if you get a good one it'll last forever, a bad one will be nothing but hassle as: I had a good one in my 110 but a dog in one of my Discos. Look for a solid 300tdi, regularly change the oil and make sure the cambelt is done every 60k and she'll last forever.

Older L200's are ok.... the newer(ish) ones circa 2007 on had a very nasty head gasket issue - as my farmer friend found out - not only are the heads expensive to source, they, nor the block can be ground to match again. Mitsubishi wanted a stupid amount of money for the work which was worth more than the truck.

Tony

If you are after a new defender you will have to be quick as they aren't making them , being replaced by new model.
There are a few in the dealers for sale.

Thanks for the advice guys think I will avoid the defender sounds like too much trouble!

Would never buy a new one Phil far too much money when you can get a disco or the new discovery sport for the same if not less!

A life long friend who owns two garages would not sell an L200 to his worst enemy, they have cam belt issues along with head gasket issues.

He would however recommend a Hi-Lux, he reckons they are the best of the lot.

A life long friend who owns two garages would not sell an L200 to his worst enemy, they have cam belt issues along with head gasket issues.

He would however recommend a Hi-Lux, he reckons they are the best of the lot.

Thanks Tom that's good to know not to many hi luxs for sale second hand compared to the l200 but will have a look !

Isuzu are a great motor tony they just go forever find one with decent service history and your never have any problems with them. I've had quite a few Isuzu diesel motors and every one as been brilliant

Tony

I am a fleet manager in the Army and run a large fleet of Landrovers which until not that long ago consisted of over 100 Defenders both 110 and 90's.

Provided they are looked after they are a great utility vehicle but are certainly not comfortable.

I also had a Mitzubishi Shogun Warrior 2.5ltr as my fishing car (fore runner to the L200) and found it awesome as a fishing vehicle but a little slow as a day to day car.

You could do far worse than buying a second hand Shogun if you want a very good fishing car (you can even sleep full length in the back).

Keith

A few years ago I considered an L200 until I looked at a couple and realised a 12 rod wouldn't fit in the back, corner to corner. Went for a MK3 Ford Ranger which was ideal. Comfy, big car interior with leather etc. And a big back, 6ft corner to corner.. Never regretted it..

I have a old Disco td5 (2002). Apart from the injectors (which was costly), it's been no trouble over three years. I do like the look of the Isuzu, however.....

Tony

I am a fleet manager in the Army and run a large fleet of Landrovers which until not that long ago consisted of over 100 Defenders both 110 and 90's.

Provided they are looked after they are a great utility vehicle but are certainly not comfortable.

I also had a Mitzubishi Shogun Warrior 2.5ltr as my fishing car (fore runner to the L200) and found it awesome as a fishing vehicle but a little slow as a day to day car.

You could do far worse than buying a second hand Shogun if you want a very good fishing car (you can even sleep full length in the back).

Keith

Would love a defender but can't see me getting one now after all the comments about realibility, the shoguns look good absolute beasts of a 4x4 looking at the size of them!

A few years ago I considered an L200 until I looked at a couple and realised a 12 rod wouldn't fit in the back, corner to corner. Went for a MK3 Ford Ranger which was ideal. Comfy, big car interior with leather etc. And a big back, 6ft corner to corner.. Never regretted it..

Thanks Declan I do like the Rangers what age is yours ?

Hi Tony - mine's a 57 reg. Bought in early 2009 with 14k miles on the clock - coming up to 110k now and still going strong..

Can't knock the Rangers, tough, solid and pretty reliable trucks. My aforementioned farmer friend swears by his and the ones we have at work are great workhorses, though ours are all U.S. spec with thirsty petrol engines which I wouldn't want to pay the fuel bill for!

Defender no no no .prob best off roader, go any where in it though.
L200 yes, issues. Large wagon but suprisingly little space for what we all want
Hi Lux very robust but early diesle ones very sluggish, petrol better but in more demand.
Any truck.whether single or double cab not (IMO) suitable for fishing.
Had gear stolen from under tonneau cover whilst fishing,

Suggest Freelander 2 TDI reasonable prices s/h now,comfortable,rods go in back okay,tailgate offers cover from rain when getting tackled up or togged up, reasonable economy mine done 110k miles and still fine.
Proper car ,go anywhere with half decent tyres.
Trust me,,,

Tony, forget all these " **** " trucks. Get yourself a second hand Hackney cab. 30 plus mpg, 12ft rods fit with ease, loads of space for tackle and a couple of mates. BUT MAKE SURE IT HAS THE NISSAN 2.7 DIESEL ENGINE. Mine has done over 633,000 miles :eek: and still going strong, ( touch wood ). Best engine they ever fitted in a cab ( the worst were a transit, and a rover ). If Carlsberg made taxi engines, this would probably outlast it. :D:) Ive got mates, who,s cabs have more than a million on the clock, seriously. :) There not 4x4, there rear wheel drive, but ive got up hills in the ice/snow ( parliament st liverpool ), were 4x4,s couldn,t. Best fishing bus by a country mile.

Yes Derek but some Jap type 4x4s are crappy off road/snow,,like The Hyundia Tucson I had ,,otherwise brilliant car for fishing (except in snow) and well cheap now.
Landies are designed with off road in mind.
Just use suitable tyres.

Back