• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

built to last gear

Chris Thomson

Following a thread on Anglers forum about bomb proof gear built to last whats yours, mine is an Alan Brown built Jack Hilton landing net must be 30 yrs old + and still going, some gardner banksticks 20yrs old , and my lafuma low chair

An Allcock Aerial could well fall into that category. I frequently use one that could well be 90 years old. However, it would be heart breaking if everything was built like that and didn't need to be replaced-it would ruin my other hobby.

My first centrepin - a Lewtham Leeds, bought new and still in frequent use 20+ years later.

Also one of the original Japanese Shimano Stradic reels.

Landing net handle I've had it 22 years. It's had 12 new handles and 14 new heads:)

I'd say my Okuma centerpins and I only replaced my JRC chair last year after the cloth wore out on the original one after about 20 years, frame still fine.

Got an old Shakespeare omni match telescopic landing net handle which had got to be 20+ years old.

My 5010's which I brought when they first came on the market and are still going strong.
Another vote for the Lafuma low chair, .. mine gave up the ghost only after 25 years of abuse.
My landing net handle which was converted from an 8 foot telescopic Thames bankstick using shrink rap, Fuji butt cap and stainless steel threaded fittings in 1983 and still does the business
Just wish I could find a pair of fishing boots that would last as long! :rolleyes:

Amount of use within these time frames should be considered. I am with Dave on this though a pair of bombproof boots wouldnt go amiss.

Cheers

Brian

A pair of Shimmy 3500RA..bought in the early 80's I guess. Never been serviced, used virtually every week of the year, up to 5 times a week!
Caught a 2lb perch on a vintage (green) John Wilson Avon this week..hate the rings but love the action.
Re. boots..given up, use lined wellies and thick socks. THEY last!

Gypsy D"Or Centrepin. I am 62 yrs old, found it at the bottom of an empty lock on the Leeds Liverpool Canal when I was 14, so the reel is at least 48 years old... it still spins like a well oiled oily thing, no wobble.
It was an old reel when I found it, has had more fish on it than it deserves.
Should be in the back of a cabinet , gracefully retiring, but it still gets used regularly.

Dave

What is it about babours, mine leaks in the rain goes cold and stiff when its cold and smells like a camel traders boxers but id be gutted if i lost that coat!

heheheheh, over half my gear is around 30 years or more old, this is why i get the best i can afford, cos it lasts forever if looked after unless like me you have a fishing mad son who keeps borrowing stuff wot never returns :D7
but main thing is i enjoy usingwell made tackle:):):)

Thank you Stephen and Terry, I should be ashamed really, the old girl has been battered and abused, had holes drilled in the sideplate, resprayed at least twice ( Oh the follies of youth ) used for Tench, Silvers /Chub / Barbel on Rivers, floating crust for Carp ,etc etc, Pike, Mullet in Estuaries and Harbours, and she still wont give up.
Here she is,along with another favourite that I have only had for a relativeley short time..about 20 years, a Rapidex.

Sorry about the picture quality, it has been cropped from a bigger picture.

David

I have a number of Mitchell 301's of 1950's vintage which still purr away contentedly to this day . A design classic . The fact that over 30 million have been sold say's it all . I also have a Mordex Merlin centre pin bought new in the late 60's and still going strong , made in Sheffield, lovely piece of kit .

I've just remembered that probably the oldest bit of kit I've got is a fly reel I bought from Woolworths probably about 40 years ago. They sold tackle under the name Winfield for a short time some of which was real rubbish. It is a Japanese copy of an American Pfleuger reel and is still going strong, no corrosion at all and working perfectly.

Gypsy D"Or Centrepin. I am 62 yrs old, found it at the bottom of an empty lock on the Leeds Liverpool Canal when I was 14, so the reel is at least 48 years old... it still spins like a well oiled oily thing, no wobble.
It was an old reel when I found it, has had more fish on it than it deserves.
Should be in the back of a cabinet , gracefully retiring, but it still gets used regularly.

Dave

Dave .If you found that reel at the bottom of 5 rise lock at Bingley it's mine ! :D

Back