• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Useful Items

Ian Sewter

Senior Member & Supporter
Let me kick start a thread with a useful item that has improved my fishing. It's a pair of folding secateurs. They are fairly light, cheap (£10 or less) and fit in a pocket like scissors but are really useful to remove the stinging nettle or thorny branch that just happens to be in the wrong place in the swim. Ideal to suggest as a Father's Day present!

Citronella incense sticks and tea lights and also the Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray. I never used to get bitten by mosquitoes but in the last couple of years they seem to love me.

Anyway, these help to keep the mozzies at bay without having to cover myself in face-melting DEET.

I've got a pack of those vinyl/latex decorators gloves with my bait bucket to protect my hands from the waft of pellets. It means you can have a crafty trip to the river fish spotting with the wife/people at work not knowing what you've been up to!

Also, I've sworn by snag safe lead clips for years. I can't understand why everyone doesn't use them. I've lost count of the number of times my lead has got snagged up (with and without fish on) for the clip to break meaning you get the rig (and fish) back.

I've got a pack of those vinyl/latex decorators gloves with my bait bucket to protect my hands from the waft of pellets. It means you can have a crafty trip to the river fish spotting with the wife/people at work not knowing what you've been up to!

Also, I've sworn by snag safe lead clips for years. I can't understand why everyone doesn't use them. I've lost count of the number of times my lead has got snagged up (with and without fish on) for the clip to break meaning you get the rig (and fish) back.

Does nobody wonder why you have Latex decorators gloves and a bucket :confused::)

Stephen

Oh Howard I understand you there, for some reason I'm very particular with baiting needles and I don't know why. I must have spent a good 15 minutes evaluating every single baiting needle in the shop a few weeks back. I could feel the stares glaring at me from all around. In the end, and with my wife sounding like she was hyperventilating with all of those characteristic impatient female sighs, I picked one and paid. I've still not used it. The day I lose my rusty old faithful needle will be a sad one.
In terms of kit that has actually improved my fishing, it's probably my polaroids, or plasticine back 'leads'.

I am lost and feel a sense of being incomplete if I havent got a nice clean towel in my bag for my hands......ooooooo I do like a good clean pair of mits.....sad I know

latex gloves - also invaluable for ensuring my hookbait isn't tainted by the smell of petrol from my trusty coleman stove.

I have made myself multitool for bankside problems, basically its a wallpaper scraper,with teeth filed in on one side and the other side is sharpened..

Saved the day on a few occasions,the teeth make quite an handy saw for removing small branches from overgrown swims, the sharp edge,well, can be used for anything really, good for cutting back the scourge of river anglers, Himalayan Balsam , and the flat spade like end is OK for making a small level area when on steep banks, usually for the back of my seat frame, I keep the legs folded underneath and the frame sometimes needs a small ledge to rest on.
Cost about a quid from Wilcos and being stainless doesnt rust.

Dave

I have made myself multitool for bankside problems, basically its a wallpaper scraper,with teeth filed in on one side and the other side is sharpened..

Saved the day on a few occasions,the teeth make quite an handy saw for removing small branches from overgrown swims, the sharp edge,well, can be used for anything really, good for cutting back the scourge of river anglers, Himalayan Balsam , and the flat spade like end is OK for making a small level area when on steep banks, usually for the back of my seat frame, I keep the legs folded underneath and the frame sometimes needs a small ledge to rest on.
Cost about a quid from Wilcos and being stainless doesnt rust.

Dave[/QUOTE

Thats brilliant :) i want one.

Back