• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW donations to nominated charities

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've just made two donations to our nominated charities of £50 each. One to Cancer Research and one to Macmillan Nurses. This money has been collected from new BFW members who have chosen to donate to charity during the joining process.

Thanks,

Andy F

Thanks for that Andy, those are two charities very close to my heart, and I can't speak highly enough about them. My wife has cancer and has been going through chemo and so on for a few months now, and the brilliant guidance we have received from the wonderful Macmillan nurses and that whole organisation has helped us enormously.

Cancer is a disgusting disease, and one we should have wiped out years ago. Sadly, but pretty much par for the course I suppose, our various governments over the years have let us down where it matters most. These two charities play a huge part in researching ways to stop cancer dead, while in the mean time offering vital help to those who are stricken down by it. But, astonishingly, they have to rely on donations from ordinary folk like us to do it. So, anyone who can help, please do. The WHO prediction now is that if things remain as they are, then one in every two people will get cancer at some stage during their lifetime. That means, in simple terms, that either you or your spouse, AND one in every two of your children...will be victims. How scary is that? We really do need to kill this wretched disease before it gets to that, so dig deep people. I know to my cost that this is definitely no longer something that happens to someone else...this affects us all. Please think about it.

Thanks, Dave.

Hi men ,

Well said Dave , makes some of the "important issues " we chat about very small beer indeed , hope all goes well in your life .

Hatter

Thanks Mark and Ray. If only we as a species could invest as much time, energy and money on curing all the ills in the world as we do in killing or inventing new methods of destroying each other, it would be a wonderful place. Sadly, that will never be, our minds don't work that way, so we have to make the most of what we have and get on with it. I can't help wishing it were different at times though. Never mind, kay sera sera, and all that.

Take care people.

Dave.

Dave, never met you or your wife but truly hope she has the inner strength
to overcome her illness, keep strong mate she will need you. john

Good choices Andy. Macmillan nurses do a wonderful job and have been a great help and comfort to my family in recent years.
Dave, so sorry to hear about your lady wife, I sincerely hope all goes well for you both.
ATB Dave

donation

As a new member this is the best £5 I have ever spent.
Two great charities that sadly come into most of our lives at some point.
Hope all goes well for you and the wife Dave.

Kev

Belated thanks for your kind words guys, couldn't respond sooner as we just got back from a 10 day cruise, that being my good ladies favourite type of holiday. The doctor told her to go and enjoy it, so we did. Unfortunately, having viewed her scan results while we were away, he decided from that that she needed two extra chemo sessions, which will happen during the next month.

However, she is a great lass and takes each day as it comes, so we are a long way from beaten yet. Thanks again lads, much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

That must have been tough news to come back to Dave. Really hope the chemo sessions are a success and best of luck to Mrs G over the coming months.

Thanks Howard, your kind thoughts are appreciated.

Now, I am fully aware that some folk will not understand my open attitude on this, preferring to keep such things to themselves, seeing it as a private matter that should stay that way. I understand that and obviously they are entitled to that opinion. However, I think they are wrong. We must discuss this openly, get people to understand how common this disgusting disease is becoming. Until we do that, and demand something is done about it, it will carry on killing thousands of us every year. In 2012, 162,000 people died from cancer....and that dreadful figure is rising at a phenomenal rate year by year. Such a very sad state of affairs, made even sadder by the fact that all it needs to change things is for more money to be invested into research. It really is that simple.

Cheers, Dave.

Back