• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New season, new methods?

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
With the upcoming season rapidly approaching, I wondered if any of you will break your habits. Are you going to revolve or evolve? What will you do differently. are you going to do the same thing on the same rivers. Or will you branch out?

Although it`s probably the norm for a lot of folks it`s going to be all about the Maggots for me this year I think.Definitely feel I`ve neglected them over the last couple of years,Worms too come to think of it.

Used to dye luncheon meat black but caught a lot of Pike,which was weird.Turned up for an evening on the Ouse at Ravenstone in the 90's and had left all the bait at home,fished with what i had on me, pieces of chopped up mars bar,caught one barbel and chub, never tried it since.

Graham my dad and me used to mix aniseed into bread caught loads of tench on that and also used it in boilies for carp had a lot on that as well
good luck with the liquorice
are you going to hair rig it or side hook it :)

Mark your fly fishing must have improved from when I saw you last :) if you going to fly fish for barbel you wont be able to drift about on a boat for them like them farmwood trout

Im hoping to catch a barbel from the loddon this year but going on my efforts at end of last season and my lack of time I know its going to be tricky but will have fun trying

Gary,the barbel i am going to try to catch on the fly will be really close, and should be easy on a nymph,(i hope)its a very prolific stretch.

Back