• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Calling all rollers, trundlers and meat bundlers

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Whilst still enjoying my barbel fishing, it is becoming a little stale and I'm in need of a new challenge. Ive only been out once so far this season but I already feel I'm just going through the motions.

I've dabbled with rolling meat in the past but I'm really going to give it a good shot this season. So with that in mind, which braids are you guys who roll currently using? and do you use a fluorocarbon leader? I fish the Kennet mainly and one stretch I'm currently fishing would be ideal for getting to grips with this method.

All information/top tips very gratefully received!

Darren

Great question Darren.

It's something I intended to have a go at this season on the Thames so it would be great to know some tips.

I use braid for most of my fishing so I imagine it will work well as long as it sinks ok & I've got some plasticine which I know a few people use as a 'weight'.

Do people have any issues with braid tangling on the cast without some sort of tubing/leadcore above the weight? (Sorry if it's an inane question but fairly new to moving a bait after many years spent behind buzzers).

I suppose the fluorocarbon section alleviates this but why not use something like kryston snakebite rather than introduce extra knots into hooklinks?

genuine questions guys. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Braid straight through is the way its done..Nice and simple..Use split shot as a weight with plasticine wrapped around if needed..

And Julian, it probably is pretty straightforward if you know what you're doing/know how to go about it/well practiced etc

Cast upstream and let it sink on a slack line before it passes you
Use a fixed spool and feel line off the side I've tried centrepins but not as much control and winding back is a pita
I use good old mono straight to a size 2- one knot =less to go wrong
Plasticine around the line , roll a sausage and coil it round the line then compress,if you need any weight, I try not to and just use a BIG peice of meat
HTH

Mono is a definite no no, when rolling..You will miss little nibbles on mono plus the stretch of mono works against you when rolling, especially when they dart back into the weed when hooked..

Hi chaps, I get the theory but I'm just interested in which braids people were using, and do they recommend using a fluorocarbon leader in conjunction with the braid, and whether people think that presentation would be enhanced or hindered by doing this? Thanks

Hi Darren.

Not sure what you'd use fluoro for as a leader, simple seems to be the way with the braid reel line straight through to the hook.

I use a fly leader sinker on my braid to ensure it sinks quickly as it has a tendency to float otherwise.

One question I did have was how does a bit register, pluck...pull...??

Fish cant tell the difference can they.
Moving bait ,,take it or lose it.
Dont get hung up fine tuning at this stage.
You are searching bottom for fish ,,and snags, so simple is best.
Most use big bits of meat 40mm + I guess,,.,,cos fish wont take small pieces will they ????

The rolling method CAN work on the hardest of days.
Go chub fishing with it for practice if possible.
The amount of plastacine you use may well vary as you move from swim to swim.
Braid straight through , I use a rubber float stop on braid 9" from hook ,mould plastcine around that,stops it slipping down so easily.
Knots,tangles, yes ocassionally but not that I would consider using a leader.
Bit of tough grass as a meat stop on bend of hook helps it stay on.

You know when you got it right as you can feel the weight tripping over the gravel bottom.Dink,dink,dink,dinkity,dink then tug or slack (hopefully).
A decent flow makes it easier IMO
Even if you are not doing it perfectly you have a moving bait in the water that can get taken and you will get an indication,, eventually.

It is a great way to fish ,quite absorbing as anticipation is constant.
Its good fun if you just go and do it.
I use 1 &1/2lb tc rod,lighter is better though

Instead of plastacine I was reccommended "Newplas" which comes in different suitable colours.Get it from modelling suppliers

Dereck, does he say why he uses multi coloured plastacine or whatever it is rather than a more subtle colour ?

I was aware that when using say brown plastacine, that greasy smelly fingers can slightly flavour it, thus perhaps generating false interest/bites.
Not something that I can honestly say I suffered from knowingly.

You been yet Darren ?

Hi Mark, a single colour will have an outline, a multi colour, light and dark mixed, etc, won,t stand out as much, and will blend in better.

Mark, yes I gave it a good afternoon/evening shot a couple of weeks ago. Took nothing but the gear for rolling so I wouldn't relapse..
By the end of the session I felt that I was starting to get a good feel for things and possibly had some interest in one swim.
Going to try again later this week as conditions look a little more favourable than the heatwave/low water/late spawning/clumsiness of the last session.
You never know, I may even succeed this time.

Darren

Does anybody go down the route of adding weight to the hook shank via tungsten putty or similar, as an alternative to having to weight the line with plasticine ? I wondered if this would help achieve a straighter run through the swim ?

Back