• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Giant hemp

Its about 3 times the size of normal hemp, and takes 3 times as long to split :( not quite as big as tares. :) Never noticed any difference in results using the giant stuff, unless roach fishing with a grain on the hook.

i've tried cooking the giant hemp several times and even after soaking for up to 2 day's cant get it to split properly or evenly,even after cooking for 2+ hours. 30 mins for the smaller stuff is fine but is there a secret to cooking the giant hemp?

i've tried cooking the giant hemp several times and even after soaking for up to 2 day's cant get it to split properly or evenly,even after cooking for 2+ hours. 30 mins for the smaller stuff is fine but is there a secret to cooking the giant hemp?

Hi Andy, i used to let mine soak for up to a week, adding some salt and bicarbonate of soda to the water. I've nearly ran out of the big stuff now, just saved enough for any roach fishing trips to use as hook bait. The next sack i buy will be the smaller stuff. :)

I agrre about trying to get it to split - next time I will buy the normal size but might use some of the giant for hookbaits

I bought "huge hemp" from Blake's baits , absolutely perfect , split after a soak and required a quick boil to finish off. Will be my Thames Roach bait this summer and autumn.
lhttp://www.blakesbaits.co.uk/

Back