• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Reels

Stephen Whyte

Hello everyone, have the option of two new reels, shimano thunnus 6000 ci4 or the shimano 6000D baitrunner at decent cost. Was thinking of the Trent, and looking for any thoughts or opinions etc:) Have asked elsewhere and sorry for the "which one" type thread.

Thanks
Stephen

Reels

Hi Stephen, I use the 6000d and it is a great reel.The thunnus is the newer version of the 6000d but lighter i believe. You should contact/message Steve Foran on this forum who advised me about the 6000d, but he now uses the Thunnus,so would be able to let you know the differences.(he just sold a pair of thunnus last week)..hope this helps...
john..

I use thinnus 8000. I believe the reels the same as the 6000, just a shallower spool. Been using mine a couple of years mostly on the Trent. They are based on the D reel and the main difference is ergonomic handle, ci4 body and uprated palladin gears. When i imported a pair the main reason was if they are good enough for hauling in Tuna at sea then the Trent will be a walk in the park. Thunnus all the way especially as the exchange rate is so good.

I have Shimano 6000 XTEA and 6000 RA. Both very good reels.

I dont think you can compare these models with the original enquiry, as they are rear drag models. I have a pair of XTEA's and as with all Shimano rear drag reels, they have a 'snatchy' clutch, when playing fish hard.

I also have a pair of 4000D's which are quality reels (build and line lay) complete with a front drag system. Although better for playing fish than the XTEA's, its still not the smoothest front drag system that I've used.

If i was about to spend £100+ per new reel, I have no idea what I'd go for?

Thank for the replies and opinions guys, it is appreciated. Think i need to ask myself if i need, or just want them, or do i already have something adequate already.:)

Many Thanks
Stephen

I tried some 8000 xteas years ago and just one session they didnt personally suit me, then again I know quite afew that say they are great.

XTEA's (and similar) are good work horse reels when chucking big feeders across the Severn, Trent and Wye etc, then slowing cranking fish back in. Where they fall down is under close quarter fishing conditions, when you want to clutch to just give a bit of line smoothly and under extreme pressure. I'm yet to find a reel with a rear drag system, which is up to this kind of fishing!

XTEA's (and similar) are good work horse reels when chucking big feeders across the Severn, Trent and Wye etc, then slowing cranking fish back in. Where they fall down is under close quarter fishing conditions, when you want to clutch to just give a bit of line smoothly and under extreme pressure. I'm yet to find a reel with a rear drag system, which is up to this kind of fishing!

The thunnus excels in this department, your reason stated was why mine only lasted a session.
Stephen I live 10 mins off the M1 jct 35/6 your more than welcome to have a look at mine, you never know they might not suit you anyway.

Back