• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Courier that insures fishing rods

Jason Hersey

Anyone know of a courier that insures fishing rods from damage/loss while in transit, most of those I've looked at seem to exclude them from compensation should anything happen

Cheers
Jas

Yes, I have an account with TNT and pay extra for what they call 'enhanced liability'. Works out at around £3.00 extra. However, very expensive even having an account at around £20 total.
Strange but true, although I have a TNT account, I can book through Interparcel , use TNT as the carrier and pay a lot less - so much for customer loyalty! Found the same with car insurance - new insurer - spent many years with Aviva but saved hundreds of quid going to Admiral - two cars (Juke Nismo and Fiat Panda 4x4) insured for less than just the Juke.

Interparcel usually offer extra insurance cover.

So hopefully answered your question and had a whinge at the same time - excellent - Friday has started well and feel temporarily fulfilled ;-)

Cheers
Bob

Yes, I have an account with TNT and pay extra for what they call 'enhanced liability'. Works out at around £3.00 extra. However, very expensive even having an account at around £20 total.
Strange but true, although I have a TNT account, I can book through Interparcel , use TNT as the carrier and pay a lot less - so much for customer loyalty! Found the same with car insurance - new insurer - spent many years with Aviva but saved hundreds of quid going to Admiral - two cars (Juke Nismo and Fiat Panda 4x4) insured for less than just the Juke.

Interparcel usually offer extra insurance cover.

So hopefully answered your question and had a whinge at the same time - excellent - Friday has started well and feel temporarily fulfilled ;-)

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob, my rod carrier sorted and also my car insurers :)

Try Parcel hero or Parcel to go , they get you a quote from a number of companies and you can add your insurance requirements when you look at the quotes provided . Parcel hero offer ' free' £50 insurance as standard , above that you pay extra

Hi Bob

Just spoken with TNT and they only cover fishing rods for loss, not damage in transit, even with enhanced compensation, its on their list of no compensation items on the link below so not sure if you're aware of this.

https://direct.tnt.co.uk/company/prohibited-and-restricted-items

All the courier companies I have checked seem to have the same policy, either no compensation for damage but some will cover for loss and some companies do not cover fishing rods at all.

Mike - Parcel2Go are the same when you get into the fine detail of insurance depending on who it is sent through. Having spoken with Parcelforce it appears that fishing rods are excluded with most couriers as they fall into the category of "Resin items, amber and composites" which carbon would be I believe unless I'm wrong in saying that carbon is a composite.

Any other thoughts anyone, don't want to be posting expensive rods without insurance on them.

Cheers
Jas

HI Jason,
Thanks for the information and if this applies to my account then they have been accepting my money on somewhat false pretences. In the past I have spoken to TNT staff with a few disaster scenarios and they have given the impression that damaged items will be covered. Knowing the ways that some companies will wriggle when faced with a claim, this 'lack of damage cover' doesn't really surprise me. I'll check up and clarify this situation as it's a long time since I've had to make a claim. It may be recent developments, as I know that Andy has had to claim for busted rods in the past with another courier and this was successful - a pair of I-powers that were totally smashed.
Thanks for the information - maybe time to get out of the rod building business.

Cheers
Bob

No worries Bob, like any insurance, no point having it if is isn't going to pay out when you need to and yes it will apply to your account as I specifically asked them if it applies to both business account and personal customers and it does.

Thanks for the information Jason - much appreciated.
Wonder in that case what happens regarding mail order companies sending out rods - maybe they have separate cover.
As I said - maybe time to get out of the rod making business.......
All the best,
Bob

HI Jason,
Thanks for the information and if this applies to my account then they have been accepting my money on somewhat false pretences. In the past I have spoken to TNT staff with a few disaster scenarios and they have given the impression that damaged items will be covered. Knowing the ways that some companies will wriggle when faced with a claim, this 'lack of damage cover' doesn't really surprise me. I'll check up and clarify this situation as it's a long time since I've had to make a claim. It may be recent developments, as I know that Andy has had to claim for busted rods in the past with another courier and this was successful - a pair of I-powers that were totally smashed.
Thanks for the information - maybe time to get out of the rod building business.

Cheers
Bob

Jason / Bob this is fascinating stuff , like you Bob I feel as if I might have been taken for a little bit of a ride on this insurance lark . When I send items[rods] when asked to describe them I always say '' fishing equipment '' and there is never a problem , this said I have never made a claim . Wouldn't want it to happen but all the rods I am posting are cane , would that count as a composite material and thus be excluded ?.....Second guessing the jesters, yes I know cane is a gardening material for growing runner beans up!

Hi Mike, the definition of composite is 'A thing made of several parts or elements'. As your rods will probably be split cane, which are composed of six triangular sections glued together, then the answer will undoubtedly be yes. When you add on the rings, handle, reel seat and ferrules, the picture looks even gloomier.

On the other hand, that definition would also include reels, which are composed of umpteen 'parts or elements', so where does this ludicrous 'get out of jail' definition start and end? It would cover most things that are sent by courier if you think about it. My guess is that you are covered unless you need to claim (especially if it's the couriers brain dead drivers who trash your equipment)...then you are definitely not covered :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

There's probably a niche service that could work as follows. You take the rod to the courier's depot where it is inspected for damage before being sealed there and then. The purchaser is then contacted with details of the depot from where he has to collect the item. This is then opened in his presence and checked for damage. Any damage must therefore have occurred during transit and the seller is compensated the full value of the item. It stops false claims and puts the onus on the handler to take care of items being shipped.

Maybe an extra blow - I've just had a letter from TNT notifying me that from the 20th July they will be making a surcharge of £4.95 for each item measuring over 1.6m. Not very welcome news for those wishing to ship rods and can only guess that other companies will quickly follow.
Cheers
Bob

Well took 2 rods to the Leicester Parcelforce depot this morning and I asked them 3 times before posting if their insurance cover fishing rods and each answer was "Yes" even after they went away and double checked their own t's & c's , so I know who I spoke to at the depot in case there's any problems.

Back