• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keep a look out for this van

Alan Bates

Just seen this on the A1 pits facebook page, a big well done for the angler who confronted him

Attachments

• thief.jpg
    thief.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 656
He's holding a bream there. I'm just trying to think how hungry I'd need to be to be able to actually eat a bream and I'm guessing that three to four days without food might do the trick but the gag reflex would still make it difficult.

100lb of fish though is more shocking than those pink Crocs he's wearing.

its the fish merchants fault for encouraging the sale of carp and bream for the table, if that was outlawed then a simple choice faces the freeloading gits who fish to steal them for the table nick em for illegal activities then deport them for such criminal convictions:mad:

its the fish merchants fault for encouraging the sale of carp and bream for the table, if that was outlawed then a simple choice faces the freeloading gits who fish to steal them for the table nick em for illegal activities then deport them for such criminal convictions:mad:

I think there are two points here. First any fish merchants involved are not likely to be reputable businesses selling mainstream species which we are used to eating and these fish will sold through illicit channels operating in the communities which typically eat these fish.

Second while there can be absolutely no justification for the actions in question there is some justification for eating food you are familiar with wherever you are. After all in the 60s when we Brits went to the Costas we weren't having any of that foreign muck like garlic and olive oil, were we? And spaghetti came in tomato sauce in tins, didn't it?

If you are a rural living Silesian or a Czech you are so far from the sea you may have never seen or tasted a cod or a haddock ! I am picturing a typical E European coming home after a hard day's work to his loving family and being cheered by the comforting words of his partner who says not to worry she's got him a lovely bit of his favourite piece of bream/roach/gudgeon for his tea.

Btw didn't our illustrious middle class Victorian forefathers enjoy a good old gudgeon fry up on the banks of the Thames on a Sunday? And I seem to remember Clarissa Dickson Wright rustling up a nice 2lb+ roach for the table on BBC2 !

Last edited:
I think there are two points here. First any fish merchants involved are not likely to be reputable businesses selling mainstream species which we are used to eating and these fish will sold through illicit channels operating in the communities which typically eat these fish.

Second while there can be absolutely no justification for the actions in question there is some justification for eating food you are familiar with wherever you are. After all in the 60s when we Brits went to the Costas we weren't having any of that foreign much like garlic and olive oil, were we? And spaghetti came in tomato sauce in tins, didn't it?

If you are a rural living Silesian or a Czech you are so far from the sea you may have never seen or tasted a cod or a haddock ! I am picturing a typical E European coming home after a hard day's work to his loving family and being cheered by the comforting words of his partner who says not to worry she's got him a lovely bit of his favourite piece of bream/roach/gudgeon for his tea.

Btw didn't our illustrious middle class Victorian forefathers enjoy a good old gudgeon fry up on the banks of the Thames on a Sunday? And I seem to remember Clarissa Dickson Wright rustling up a nice 2lb+ roach for the table on BBC2 !

Are you for real. Comparing a one off 2lb Roach to a 100lb haul of mixed fish. This is theft pure and simple, and done for making a few quid, i am gobsmacked :eek:

Elisabeth David's book contained plenty of recipes using coarse fish, including tench and bream.
Does appear this guy was taking a lend and often they slip into " No speak lingo" mode when it suits. A little education all that is required, how that is administered is open to interpretation ;)

Yet another fish taking thread descends into casual xenophobia & stereotyped racism!

I can only imagine that uproar if the situation was reversed and a Brit angler did such a thing in Poland, if they had any conservation rules.
Casual xenophobia and stereotypical racisism would be the least of his worries.
We are a soft touch that you typically demonstrate, this guy was caught red handed with a big haul of fish, and he is Polish or least EE, now that's stereotypical.

Second while there can be absolutely no justification for the actions in question there is some justification for eating food you are familiar with wherever you are. After all in the 60s when we Brits went to the Costas we weren't having any of that foreign much like garlic and olive oil, were we? And spaghetti came in tomato sauce in tins, didn't it?

Erm, what about Sainsbury's who sell carp on the fish counter ? :mad:

Yet another fish taking thread descends into casual xenophobia & stereotyped racism!

Simon, i've worked alongside 2 Polish lads for over 10 years, really good friends, even been on holiday with 1 of them ( not in a viking way ). But even they admit there are far too many eu,s on this small island. Nothing to do with racism, just the sheer volume flooding in, I see it every night at Liverpool airport. And yes, they maybe hard workers, but so are a lot of unemployed British people, who would happily do the jobs the EU,s are doing, but aren't being given the opportunity. " I,VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND "

So you think the "THIEF" with the van is being picked on, cause he,s Polish, and not the fact he,s just taken 100lb of fish.

Why does big chip on shoulder, and head stuck up **** come to mind.

Putting the legality to one side for a moment, I think if the general population saw this they would understand i.e. he has caught fish to eat, they get far less the idea of catching something alive and then letting it go...it is the perennial problem we face as pleasure anglers.

I had carp in Czech once - quickly went back to eating mammal flesh, but it was a fairly common dish in times past before sea fish became popular.

Back