• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

94lb cat from Severn?

Wasn't me John, that's one helluva fish munching beast though. Still thinking about a beast I lost at Severn Stoke two years ago .

The captor must be quite an optimist having the appropriate scales at hand to weigh something that size !
Plus a huge landing net..

I wondered the same myself Dave.....plus how on earth do you land a fish like that on standard barbel gear? My guess is you'd never move it off the bottom.

I know a couple of guys that have lost suspected cats on a couple of occasions around Severn stoke too. Good to see someone has actually managed to lever one out at last.

I wonder if the captor had a root around in the fishes mouth for other anglers hooks!!??

Hi chaps, the catfish was caught at 3am monday morning on a 2lb x-flite rod, 6000 baitrunner, 12lb krystonite line, 3oz feeder on a 3ft 25lb leadcore leader, 4ft of 18lb braid, size 10 widegape and a 18mm source boily. 75 minute fight ( mostly upstream- thankfully). Hand landed and weight on 100lb x 1oz berkley digital scales. Managed 3 selftakes ( anything a bonus at that stage) - i was done for. Story will be in the weeklys next week

An incredible catch, Neil. Congratulation on the biggest fish ever caught from a UK river. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if it's twice the size of the biggest fish ever caught.

A truly seminal capture. Well done.

I don't suppose you have any idea of the fish's history at all?

Just as well you had a batirunner and not a pin with 60yds of line on it, now that would have been even more exciting lol well done hell of a fish.

I wouldnt, but in theory should it have been dispatched as a non native species? I dont know what the law is regarding cats Not sure how you would dispatch it either i dont carry a baseball bat or s 12 bore.

Neil - great capture ... i hooked something a few years back up near Holt that took about 100 yards of line as it went upstream - always thought it was a cat, fortunately for the fish the braid hooklength went first. There was a bit of me that did not want to land it as steep bank, net not big enough etc but i wouldn't have minded seeing it.

In 1994, on the Banks of the Severn at Beauchamp Court, at about midnight, I was watching the rod top isotopes dance to what I thought were line bites, they suddenly stopped and the left hand rod started to curve over, then the Aerial buzzed in a steady but fast-ish run I jumped up and struck into a very solid, immovable, but moving life force, whatever had taken my 3" cube of Spam, was heading towards Worcester (upstream) and nothing my 12lb maxima and 11ft 1.5 tc Armalite rod could do anything about it, gradually the fish(?) now was approx 80 yards upstream of me and I was running out of line and the rod had become flattened due to the angle that had developed, I was about to be spooled when everything suddenly went slack, I furiously reeled in to find the 30" of 15lb braid had become severed just below the swivel. I was left shaking and shattered because of what I had hooked, once i told people of what I had experienced they all said big Carp.....no I said this was no Carp, a few weeks later Steve Pope lost another huge fish on the Pixham ferry Car Park, this time the fish headed downstream, with the same result.......perhaps monster Cats have been in the river for years.....?

Lawrence on the day i lost whatever there were salmon jumping all over the place and i did wonder was it a big salmon but, as you say, a 1.5tc/12lb line had no impact on it and it moved not as a salmon would. if it was a carp it would have been huge or so i imagine to just keep going as it did against my fruitless efforts. I suspect there have been big cats for years as they can live to 30+. Catfish the new barbel...

Back