• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lead size ? small river.

Steve Brand

What size lead weight should I be using for tip fishing on small rivers where a short cast Is required into relatively shallow water?
I read In a well known barbel anglers book that he recommended a one and a half ounce minimum but I am not sure if this information was directed primarily towards a small river situation.
I know that It Is often suggested that where possible you should try and lay the rig into the water rather than cast It In thus minimising disturbance.

I would try a couple of swan shot on a loose link (so they can slid off if snagged).
Small river with little current minimal disturbance is prob good idea.

However a small river I fish , in some fast water, used a 1oz feeder and worked really well.Found swim preparation worthwhile and did say 3 casts for 3 fish then moved on.

Hi Steve. Firstly, I would certainly agree that it's important to minimise disturbance as much as possible. That's why marginal swims can be a great and sometimes overlooked choice. You can gently lay the bait etc. down into position. I would normally use a backlead too, especially in low, clear, conditions.

In terms of weight, you can get away with surprisingly little at the moment if using a running rig (if using a semi-fixed set up you might need more to help with self hooking). I often use 3-4 LG shot (think they are 3g each) and it will hold in most of the swims I fish on the Kennet. That's a bit less than 1/2 an ounce!

When fishing the Mole I would often use a shortish hooklink to a 1 1/2 ounce flat lead coupled with a small back lead about 3-4 feet up the line, stopped with a gripper stop, then keep the rod tip as low as possible . Otherwise all you need is enough lead to hold station if you are using a running rig and are not bolt rigging. Sometimes all you need is a swan shot on a sliding link.
The same rules apply to whatever river, just fish to the flow conditions and adapt accordingly .
DT:)

All good advice being given here Steve, I too frequently get away with two or three swan shot on a link in low to medium water/flow levels on small rivers. It is a very nice, easy way to fish and absolutely does produce the goods.

Cheers, Dave.

I often fish a running 1oz anchor lead (the one with a black rubber band around the lead) with a pva bag on the band and then a back lead, when only targeting Barbel.A back lead stops me getting most chub,you get the taps but the resistance makes them drop the bait.Sometimes you need to tot up whether its worth avoiding these Chub.If they are small no problems but if they go large i will remove the back lead and fish as light a weight as possible.On the swivel tag end, i leave the line long,and put a swan shot with some tungsten putty or plasticine wrapped round(you can add or remove easily).As others say try not to plop that lead in its the biggest mistake made on small rivers

Flat weights.

When fishing a small south Yorkshire river [the dearne] using a roving approach , I try to carry a selection of the oval shaped flat weights very small to about 1 oz [unless carrying a lot of water ] , they seam to make less splash , hold slightly better and are less prone to snagging , apart from over casting into the far bank tree!

Like Dave I use a 2/3 swan shot on the Dane close in.in passing I have also used heavy lump of meat in shallow water.i once had 7 barbel in short order on this method.if careful it can be inched downstream or back up.keep hold of the rod or lose it
Albert

It all depends on the situation dosent matter about the river size. Anywhere between free line a couple of Swan shot to 6oz I've used on the Bristol Avon which is a small intimate venue.

just as the others said but try either a small flat weight or 2-3 swanshot, cover the lead with a plasticine that will match the bottom, add or subtract what you need to hold. you can pick up diffent coloured plasticines that artists use from any art supplies shop, its cheap but make sure it dont have that plastic smell in it:)

Same as everyone else couple of swan shot on a link or take some plasticine or something similar and use that. All my fishing is done using as little weight as possible. On the Trent on Tuesday I was only using a 2oz feeder.

My approach is very similar to Dave Taylor's except I will more often than not be using half to three quarters of an ounce only for the main lead. Rod tip as low as possible (on the river bed if I can) and if I can maintain a tight line the lack of weight in the lead doesn't bother me as I think the fish hook themselves against the rod tip. I might increase the lead size in slack water, which sounds strange but in that scenario I think the lack of flow does not help with self hooking.

not always the case regarding self hooking dave, what if the fish move upstream or just sit and feed over the freebies, wotrth a thought mate

Freebies, what are they John !? Hear what your saying but I believe in any flow a barbel will almost always take a bait and turn downstream. May be different in slack water, hence my preference for a heavier lead in such conditions.

The size of the river really isn't a factor, the flow is however. Also just how confident the fish are with feeling the weight when toying with shall I shan't I mode. And to me the resistance the fish feel is crucial, especially in slack water conditions that we are experiencing at the moment. Of course when there is a good flow, the fish have to make up their minds in an instant, and is one of the reason catching them is 'easier'.

I experiment a lot with size of leads in a session, and go as light as I can, and sometimes just free line a piece of meat, inching it down through the swim.

Fishing the lower Severn at the weekend I found it was tough hitting bites on the meat, OK it was mostly if not all Eel's that were interested, but opening the bail arm and using a 'bobbin' as a marker, (Lol Breakspeare style) I got some impressive 'runs' which in a way proved to me the fish were wanting to pick up the meat, but would drop it when resistance was felt be even the slightest resistance of a tight(ish) line.

When dusk arrived the standard method of tightening up to the lead and holding the rod hitting the fast bites was the best way, well for for me anyway.

It's a fascinating subject.:)

This thread made me remember a similar topic on tiny rivers and streams from 'other species' .
The water I referred to in the following copied post was really small, and the most important point was being stealthy .
As well as netting some nice roach during that session , I had three small barbel and eventually got done by a carp.
Also fished three different pools in tandem, because of the obvious disturbance when playing anything half decent.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree with Gavin on bait. I like to trot sweetcorn and light ledger flake.
There is a millstream carrier next to a Thames tributary that I have tried for Roach this summer that fits your discription.
It averages 8 to 10 feet wide, a couple of feet deep with the occasional riffle and deeper pool.
The main river has seen it's population of Roach decimated by Cormorants, and with a decline in habitat coupled with erratic flow regimes they have faded into distant memory.
The millstream however, was given a habitat makeover in the mid nineties by the EA. The restoration included placing some huge boulders into the stream along with gravel to create oxygenated riffles and pools. Willows were also planted.
The stream doesn't recieve the same attention from Cormorants as the river as I believe they find it too confined. The exact same can be said for anglers, as the EA errected a fence a few feet from the waters edge to act as a buffer zone against livestock.
All this leaves the residents undisturbed and ready for me to spoil their day!
The tactics are simple really...Go light, no room for chairs...be very careful not to spook them.
A light quiver rod, 3lb line, a loaf. net and a few odds and sods in a waistcoat pocket.
I took a leaf from Falkus and Buller's lovely old book, ''Freshwater Fishing'' [circa 1975 ] , ...the chapter ''A swimfeeder technique on the Dorset Stour'' and carefully loaded a small cage feeder [ ''Like a pipe smoker would fill a pipe''], with breadflake and kneeling down, lowered it into the pool.
I would repeat this two or three times, and replace the feeder with a very small lead'
This method seems to work on that venue, as I have caught some decent Roach during an evenings fishing.
Unfortunately, as Gavin mentioned, there are often other residents in those pools who all like bread!
Dt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's certainly makes a change to try out smaller streams which demand a different approach , and can often be rewarding . The stream in question obviously provided its occupants with preferable conditions compared with the main river and proved that barbel still like bread! :)

Back