• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Barbel grounds

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi all,

Alex here new to the site so though id just chuck a few questions about.
really been enjoying the chub fishing on the river Waveney. and the odd spot on the Wensum but I am looking at opening my area to fish and of course I would really like to get into Barbel fishing. of Couse we don't have any good barbell areas in Norfolk/Suffolk. but me and a friend are talking about a long weekend next year for some chub and barbell fishing. I know there are lots of different grounds and areas to fish but the wye seems to be the main talking point when I ask a few other friends who chub and barbell fish. distance is not a problem as we would be looking at making it a good long weekend. I just wanted some information from you guys and girls who do it a lot more than me.
Any help hits or tips would be very grateful.
Tight lines
Alex

Dave, is the Trent worth staying at for a long weekend or is the wye a better ground. I am not expecting to be catching massive fish or many of them but I am hoping to get a nice size Barbel. im just not sure on the location.

Alex

Can't comment on the Wye but the Trent certainly has a lot to offer. I think the general consensus is that both rivers are probably the best we have. PM me if you decide on the Trent.

Dave

Thanks Dave for your help I will definitely be needing some more input nearer the time I go.
Alex
Don't forget The Severn, Bewedly, Hampton Loade etc, all the BAA stretches round there still fish well, local tackle shops will put you right ;)

I was looking at possibly the river Ouse as it will only be 2-3 house drive from my area and could do that in a day. if there is anyone who is willing to take me under there wing for the day to show me the ropes and would like a bit of company as well please let me know.
Alex

I was looking at possibly the river Ouse as it will only be 2-3 house drive from my area and could do that in a day. if there is anyone who is willing to take me under there wing for the day to show me the ropes and would like a bit of company as well please let me know.
Alex
Go have a read of this season and last season's Ouse thread, you might change your mind, it's criminal what's happened to the Barbs in there.

Back