• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel tackle and set up

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi All I am looking at doing at barbel session soon for the first time. location not yet sure of. and I am in need of some help for rods and tackle etc. I currently use a Korum Neoteric 12 ft 1.75 lb test curve rod for my chub fishing and free spool bait runner reel loaded with 8lb line. for my rig end I use a basic free running setup with a size 12 or 14 hair rig. a good size unhooking mate and good size landing net. I have all the roving gear but I was unsure about rod and tackle end. I know I can go on to google and it will show pictures of rigs etc but I want 1st hand information not what someone has written a review about.
any help would be gratefully received.

Alex

Welcome to the forum Alex.

First thing to consider with rods, reels & line strength is where you're fishing & the conditions.

The rod will be fine for rivers where you only need 2 ounces or less to hold bottom but a big river in flood ( Thames ) would need something much more substantial to cast the leads needed to hold bottom, 2lb TC +...

The reel again is fine although I'd advise strengthening the line to at least 12lb and perhaps heavier, again depending on the river, bottom, snags etc but 12lb is a good point to start.

Rig wise what you're using is fine & will catch. Personally I favour a (safe) bolt rig with a short hooklength for most of my fishing but the actual rig is not critical but getting the rod, line etc correct will be for the river you're fishing.

Hope that helps, if you want to name the river I'm sure some members who live locally would be able to advise you on the set up with a lot more precision.

Hi there Adam thank you so much for your help I am really grateful. I was looking at going to the wye next year with a friend but to tell you the truth I would much like to go before that as I am getting itchy feet I am really enjoying the chub fishing at the moment but on the river Waveney they are not that big or any good spots really. I have been doing a little looking about and for a day session or a over nighter in a B&B I have looked at the river Ouse in Bedfordshire and the river ivel as they are only a few hours drive at the most from Lowestoft. I will doing more research before I go but I just wanted to know if the tackle I had was good enough before I had to go out and spend a small fortune on something that I might just need to upgraded a bit like line etc.
Alex

Hi Alex,
I work over in the fair country of Suffolk bit live over in the Ouse valley. It's a tough old place to fish nowadays but they're still about. Drop me a PM if you like, there's a Barbel Society get together on the Ouse in September, you'd be more than welcome to join in and the guys will be more than happy to help you out with rigs and tactics and such. Plus if you like the old Chub there's plenty of those about!

As for rigs I like to keep it simple, match the hook and hair to the bait you're using. Be gentle with the cast and keep stealthy on the banks. Don't get too bogged down in the technicalities of rigs and the ''experts'' that have moved across from the Carp fishing fraternity!

Thanks Dan that's really good. is it s members society of just a general meeting. I just didn't want to waste my time traveling there is in the whole stretch of the river there are only a few barbell.

Hi there Adam thank you so much for your help I am really grateful. I was looking at going to the wye next year with a friend but to tell you the truth I would much like to go before that as I am getting itchy feet I am really enjoying the chub fishing at the moment but on the river Waveney they are not that big or any good spots really. I have been doing a little looking about and for a day session or a over nighter in a B&B I have looked at the river Ouse in Bedfordshire and the river ivel as they are only a few hours drive at the most from Lowestoft. I will doing more research before I go but I just wanted to know if the tackle I had was good enough before I had to go out and spend a small fortune on something that I might just need to upgraded a bit like line etc.
Alex
How far is the Kennet from you, I think you'd be better on there than the Ouse, what about the Wensum?

Personally I'd put 15lb line on the reel and then fish 10 or 12lb hooklinks, step up the hooks to a size 8 aswell.

The Kennet is south of me about 200 + miles the Wensum is great for chub but as for barbel I think they have all been eaten but otters. most of the Wensum is privet these days but im sure most of the wye, seven, Trent etc. are too.

The Kennet is south of me about 200 + miles the Wensum is great for chub but as for barbel I think they have all been eaten but otters. most of the Wensum is privet these days but im sure most of the wye, seven, Trent etc. are too.
No the Wye, Severn, Trent has loads of day tickets on prime water.

Plenty of places to camp and even fish right next to the sites if you have some camping gear, can't beat it in the summer, otherwise plenty of cheap B+B's for a weekend trip.

Thanks Darren I have been told of the red lion on the wye at Bredwardine looks like s nice B&B plus they have 4 miles of the wye there must be a few swimming about there I hope.

Otter will not exclusively eat Barbel in favour of Chub, of course the Rivers you mention as to being private, are by and large controlled by angling clubs, many offer day tickets for the visitor. The Wye is controlled to a great extent by the Wye and Usk Foundation that only offer day tickets, but there are other possibilities.
A search online will give you a raft of good information .

Back