• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre-pin casting with a lead

Andrew Firth

After a good year away from it for various reasons the rods have been dusted down and I finally got river fishing.

However on my first session it was noticeable how rubbish my river craft and all around technique was.

My casting with a simple free running lead onto a braided hook length with a pin was woeful. I've been practicing in a field before the next attack on a river but my distances and accuracy is still pretty poor with a lead and very inconsistent.

Applyig single, double loop, side, wallis, wallis modified (probably my most productive) and a new BC swing cast I've seen on Youtube

Only using around 1oz,I can cast reasonable good with a big float for trotting but with lead its poor, any tips or pointers?

As I said I've watched a few Youtube video's, they're helping but I'm still adamant the lead is pulling line from the pin too quickly and it then twangs and drops short of a more desirable distance.

i aint a pin man myself but have seen some good pin men on bfw meet ups
paul whiteing in particular showed me how to cast directy off the pin with just a flick that sent the lead over 30 yards, i know theres several others on bfw who can similar:)

Hi Andrew, like yourself, i'm no expert. But i think forming the loops might be your problem, ( twanging ) as you say. Try placing your finger against the centrepin, with the weight hanging 3ft from the rod tip, slowly bring the rod round to the side of you, now quickly bring the rod round in front of you and release your finger from the reel. ;):)

been using a pin for about 3 years now, mate can do 40 or 50 yds no problem. When i started i used the loops but now just use the weight of the lead to pull of the line, multiplier style, and thumb to stop over runs. Also i have it so the line comes off the top of the pin. Perseverance is the answer as its all timing. The harder i try the less control i have, bit like a golf swing.

Take your time !

Andrew

I'd stick to the plain wallis cast for weights that you mentioned, keep it smooth and slow which will get you your accuracy, and as with other things......practice makes perfect !

Good luck

I use a simple device that I made up myself which is nothing more than a small handle with a length of stainless steel rod (it could be anything) with a simple loop in the end and hold the line at 90 degrees to the spool whilst holding the line on the spool with my thumb until the moment of release.

This also takes a little practice and also induces a little twist in the line but ultimately allows casts of 30-40m with practice'

Hope that helps.

Keith

keith, it sounds like what the guys do with their hand at an angle and the line just comes off just like a fixed spool mate

Back