• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Britain's biggest barbel...

Hi men,

Paul, in the early 2000's when me and Sue see a dramatic change in our fishing I contacted them directly , as there was no orgernisation that represented us that could or would see a problem. After a few email, and direct conversations it was clear that their do not represent or regard angling as high on their list . The parting comment meant I stopped calling/emailing g them was "you may have to find a different species to fish for ". I'm afraid that if anyone puts their faith , or feels that the EA will help anglers as a priority regarding otters , then your mistaken, as the reintroduction is one of their aims , barbel fishing as it is /was is collateral damage .

Hatter

Mark

I absolutely agree i just hope the various societies and the Angling Trust read this and take it on board - it is clear we are not partners.

Hi men ,

Paul , nothing can be done as they are a protected species , and any work to improve barbel fishing for the future will have to be channelled in a different direction . There are still people though who feel that otters are not having an effect on fishing , and barbel fishing in our case , im afraid they are deluded , which is lucky as all we can do is moan :p.

Hatter

Mark

I am not one who wishes to get rid of otters per se as my other passion, is there room for two, is wildlife photography but, it is like any species, there has to be a balance. I also take on board that the barbel are probably not at there natural size at present for a whole host of reasons and this may not be healthy for an ecosystem. I do though struggle with the Scottish example as i cannot believe that a keeper on salmon beat would not maintain a healthy balance - perhaps we need a few American dentists with money to burn :D

The EA spokesman comparing Scottish rivers containing Otters is imo a very silly comparison, I would suggest that the rivers he was possibly referring to don't have the myriad of other problems that English rivers have and because of that they are better able to sustain a natural balanced population of Otters.

Graham, furthermore, I suspect that if the EA are referring to Scottish ( and for that matter English ) rivers that have trout or salmon runs- well- you never hear of such rivers suffering from otters.
Can't imagine for a second, why that is!

The EA consider anglers to be an annoying nuisance that are their enemy, in that they want to catch the fish they are tasked with protecting and have the habit of exposing their shortcomings.
I have been very fortunate to have experienced some truly fabulous fishing at various times in my life, every time though, the actions, or lack of, by the EA have destroyed the environment and the fishing.
The Otter problem is just the latest in a long line of environmental disasters the EA are responsible for.

Dave said,

"Graham, furthermore, I suspect that if the EA are referring to Scottish ( and for that matter English ) rivers that have trout or salmon runs- well- you never hear of such rivers suffering from otters.
Can't imagine for a second, why that is!"

Is that a case of "what happens in Scotland stays in Scotland" I wonder? Big sporting estates up there where huge sums of money are involved.

Regards,

Lee.

Yes, well done Derek. I have seen it before but never thought to put it up on here. He didn't muck about our John, said what he thought....and I don't think he was far out.

Cheers, Dave.

To add to what John said, few people realise the power and savage nature of otters, it is scary. The average maximum weight of our species of otter is 17kg. The giant otter of South America reaches 32kg, so less than twice the size. A family of four giant otters will take on and kill huge fully grown caiman (alligator family) utterly incredible, and apparently it's a common occurence. Very worrying.

See here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AO7YZa7Wk

Cheers, Dave.

Good post Derek...Mr Wilson is absolutely spot on..
All you people on here who think Otters are not a threat, well think on what Wilson said, it might be good now where you fish but when they eventually appear, well just watch your fish disappear just like many on here have already witnessed..The description of the Otter as a giant Rat is spot on..
Oh well at least many on here have good memory's to hold on to..;)

Absolute disgrace the EA response, the amount of money anglers pump into them every year, when are they going to stand up for us, I'd say never.

most of us think Ea stands for Environment Agency but i think its really Exploitation Agency

Back