• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

10 foot rod for drowning spam

Matthew Thomas

So I'm on this bandwagon for rolling meat, second season doing it and I'm honing my skills and my kit.
I started out with a standard barbel rod at 12ft and now I'm using a 9ft greys rod (9/12 stalker) but I now want to get a rod that is 10ft long and a fantastic light blank that you can hold all day but with enough power to extract hard fighting barbel
My thoughts are a spinning rod or maybe a Salmon worming rod?
No carp rods please I'm looking at something with finesse that I'll keep forever
Probably a Harrison blank would be the best bet
Any ideas or experiences of great shorter rods?

Dave Mason rod would be ideal, 10.6, light as a feather, and a good action for the method.
I do own one so very biased mind.

Rolling rod

Hi Matthew,

I use a Harrison 10' stalker 1.75tc built by Bob Gill nice through action with sensitive tip with stacks of power lower down also the rod is very light & slim.
My perfect rod for rolling & stalking as most of my barbel fishing is done this way!

If you can find one, a Daiwa AKN116 is the perfect tool, but longer than you wanted.

Mark Tunley could build you an 11ft 1.75tc torrix too - that's a lovely bit of kit.

I have been using the Ray Walton rod again and it's grown on me, I may move the handle forward 6 inches and chop off the butt remaining just to balance it a bit better

Back