• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new landing net

John Walker

hi guys, just treated myself to a new landing net, daiwa mission, 36" solid stainless steel head and inserts with normal size screw in bit for most poles, this is a real quality net and fittings in all respects and is a very reasonable 40 quid or so, have a look at one it,ll make you want one:)

hi guys, just treated myself to a new landing net, daiwa mission, 36" solid stainless steel head and inserts with normal size screw in bit for most poles, this is a real quality net and fittings in all respects and is a very reasonable 40 quid or so, have a look at one it,ll make you want one:)
:eek::eek::eek: I,d want 2, or even 3 for that. :D

Not seen the Daiwa one but recently bought myself a Rovex folding net for about twelve quid. Plenty big enough, mesh maybe slightly lightweight, time will tell.

on the subject of Landing Nets, does anyone have one of the Ron Thompson folding nets kicking about, not worried if the folding mechanism is broken.....just need it for spares...

John im a bit confused with those 30 plus nets is the one in your link a 30 inch net?

Hi guys
Try the new Korum triangular net, it comes in two sizes, 24 and 28 inch.
Very useful for leaving a spare in the car.
The price is around £ 16/17.
Brian.

Always good to see st/stl fittings on a net, the extra weight is minimal and outweighed by the bombproof strength of a common weak spot .
Manufacturers just need to improve some of the pathetically weak screw - in inserts on landing net poles to match.

i could find no weak spots on the mission and the spreader block is really small but rock solid, this is the only reason i have mentioned the 36 mission net, had enough of the cheapies and decided to lash out on a worthwhile net, far outstrips the drennan one and at 36" is to me the perfect size for barbel,
just very honest info on a good net:)

I may just get one of those John. I have been using a 30" Korum oval for a couple of years now, purely because I feel spoon nets poke through small gaps in undergrowth easier. However, good as the Korum net is, it has two (for me) major faults.

One, it is an absolute pain in the botty to transport around...I swear it grows to a 60" when you are traveling or trying to pack it away. The other problem is that I don't find the mesh deep enough to effectively rest big barbel in the edge in certain circumstances. It's great that it is a shake dry latex mesh, and the shape IS nice...but I don't think I can hack the faults any longer.

I use large triangulat nets for carp fishing, so I am aware of the drawback of that massive straight leading edge you have to try and maneuver through undergrowth to land the fish...but a 36" should be a reasonable compromise I hope.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers for that info Lads....:)

Looks a good net that,just the job and not too pricey either, i don't like spoon nets personally and i've yet to find a real need to own one !

dave, you also get a stink bag for the net mate,
to a lot of you other guys
just a pure honest view of the item with no other motive but spreading the word of a decent item:)
dave i am starting down on the lower golf course near to the willow mate but not that far down, really looking forward to it, do you know of any pollution higher up, just read something in the weekly comic, certainly didnt like what i read:eek:, also going down to my fav lake soon and you know which lake;)
aint seen it in 15 years, just wondering if the origional features are still producing, have you heard anything:)

John, I like the sound of the free stink bag that comes with the net...do they work? If so, will sitting on it have any affect on my wind problem mate? I think I am starting to put the fish off in my swims.

Cheers, Dave.

I used to be a noddy and use a triangular net. Until I found the fox predator large rubberised spoon. Had pike in it to 29lb. Carp to 40lb. Very deep mesh and easier to control in a flow. Haven't looked back.

I used to be a noddy and use a triangular net. Until I found the fox predator large rubberised spoon. Had pike in it to 29lb. Carp to 40lb. Very deep mesh and easier to control in a flow. Haven't looked back.

Mmmm Noddy? What is that exactly? Is it an angler that is slightly naive of the modern trends, or perhaps he doesn't care about being up there and 'on trend' prefers to do it his or her way....and so he just might choose a triangle net because it folds down, and hey you can actually store it in a quiver thingy.:rolleyes:

Mmmm Noddy? What is that exactly? Is it an angler that is slightly naive of the modern trends, or perhaps he doesn't care about being up there and 'on trend' prefers to do it his or her way....and so he just might choose a triangle net because it folds down, and hey you can actually store it in a quiver thingy.:rolleyes:

Exactly !!

Unofficial owner of the biggest little red and yellow car in the world.

Back