• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

recommendations for a good set of waterproofs?

Chris Cheshire

It's that time of year again and winter is lurking.... just discovered my trusty old jacket has mouse holes in it, so won't be seeing any more of the riverbank. Can anyone suggest a good jacket and trouser combo for the rainy season??

I have one of these, got fed up with great heavy thermal suits you can hardly walk in so layer up now with these on top, haven't sat out in the rain with it on as i wimp out and use a brolly, kept me dry so far though....
it's a carp suit though so don't know if it will be any good for barbel fishing:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wQc84dYYMQ

Those cheap army gortex(horrible looking German camo) jackets and bib and brace with a lining take some beating, fished through last winter without a brolley in freezing temps/rain and did not get wet or cold,though had layers underneath the jacket.Someone can probably put up a link to them on ebay.Have tried all sorts over the years and was very happy.

Mark is correct on the ex army Gortex stuff, I've seen him sitting it out in the rain and cold.
Most of the mainstream angling suits and jacket and trouser 'waterproof' sets are not, and it can be tricky getting something that actually fits, the exception is JRC, their clothing is top class and available in a good range of sizes. Often the other makes, if waterproof, aren't breathable and a jacket from a set may fit and the trousers don't or vice versa. Beware of buying something without trying it on.

Try the Drennan suits 20000mm hydrostatic pressure. That's where I am looking next. Most fishing suits are 5000mm, I think bivies are somewhere around 10000mm. If you want to pay extra Halkon Hunt Goretex, you get what you pay for is the saying. Then you can go even further and look at mountain stuff £400 for jacket alone. Paremo etc.

Cheers

Brian

My ESP bib'n'brace and jacket has served me well over the last three winters.The latest model ESP Super Grade claims 25,000 hydrostatic head and 10,000 breathability,which is a similar spec. to the model I've got.YKK zips as well.

I can vouch for the latest ESP bib & brace.
Superb piece of kit, about £110, may get the jacket to go with.

If you can get your hands on it the U.S. military gortex is far superior to anything else I've tried, the Dutch and German stuff isn't bad but since I got my grubby hands on the American kit from work I've not needed to look elsewhere.

A lot of the match team clothing is Halkon-Hunt made Gore-Tex its expensive but has never let me down....& it has been used & abused for well over 12 years...
if the price is putting you off have a look for a second-hand set, H-H will also repair any rips or tears too....

Andy

I use Berghaus Gore-Tex used it in the Army and never let me down so always buy there jackets and waterproofs.

Last year I decided to fork out on the ESP Supergrade jacket and salopettes - not cheap but not as dear as Gore-Tex. I'm more than happy with them and can vouch for the waterproof and windproof qualities. I have one criticism though - the legs on the salopettes were too long and I'm 6ft tall. My wife had to cut about 4 inches off them and that meant cutting through the zips as well - I had to take her out for a meal as payment, so needless to say, the alteration didn't come cheap.

about 3-4 years back I bought myself a set of ex army desert camo Gore-tex..it was difficult for me as I've never been a camo man when it came to fishing and when I tried it on thought I looked a right prune BUT my first rain storm showed why the forces use the kit...dry as a bone I was...I've sat in more than one rainstorm with nothing else over me and stayed dry and personally prefer the overtrousers to salop's as they make it easier when you need a pee !!!.the hood is enormous, designed to accommodate a tin helmet so plenty big enough for me to hide in...highly recommend it BUT as Anthony said, buy new, dam good value and highly recommend it :)
PS.. for warmth just use the layer system...

In an earlier post on this thread I mistakenly recommended JRC when in fact I should have said ESP, getting my three initial brands mixed up! !!!
I don't know if JRC make clothing but their seats are excellent.
IIRC the ESP clothing is rated 24000mm waterproof and 10000 breathable , better than most bivies.

I will 2nd Berghaus gortex gear very good indeed.

Andy

Back