• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof trousers

Richard Parsons

Not strictly barbel-related but I'm frustrated enough to try anything (almost).

What I'm looking for (possibly a rarity of holy grail proportions) is a pair of trousers that are waterproof and breathable. They don't have to be green, must not be bib/brace or skiing, or over-trousers. Oh, and must have the option of a 34" inside leg (or thereabouts).

Does such a product exist? Thanks in advance.....

Why don't you get a pair of breathable waist waders and boots , bit expensive compared to trousers but at least you will be dry

Seeland (reasonable) or Harkila (very expensive) - i find they are excellent - plus a Seeland Poncho for £50 - no need for a brolly...

Snugpak ventile overtrousers , come in green and blue, along with one of their ponchos are the only things that have passed the " sitting in a boat whilst it tips down all day " test.

Don't know if you would classify them as overtrousers but the ESP trousers are brilliant and available in various sizes.
Took shelter in my car during a heavy downpour yesterday and forgot to fold my chair over, it was saturated when I returned. I was wearing the ESP's and after a couple of hours sitting on the wet chair my bum was still bone dry, most of the seat was still soaking except for the patch I'd been sitting on which had dried out.
They are the dog's goads.

Thanks for all your replies. gents. I'll take my time clicking the links, and hopefully find something I like.

Already have waders, Matthew. :)

Sizing

If you go for the seelands be careful with sizing they usually come up at least a size smaller than you expect. I now buy a size up and make sure the returns process is simple. The reason I now wear over trousers rather than waterproof trousers for fishing on my backside is because as yet I have not found anything which is waterproof, whilst sitting on a chair or in a boat, and as I said the boat test usually sorts the failures out pretty quick. That said the seelands / harkilla trousers are very good for the purpose they were designed for - walking or standing up sporting type activities.

If you go for the seelands be careful with sizing they usually come up at least a size smaller than you expect. I now buy a size up and make sure the returns process is simple. The reason I now wear over trousers rather than waterproof trousers for fishing on my backside is because as yet I have not found anything which is waterproof, whilst sitting on a chair or in a boat, and as I said the boat test usually sorts the failures out pretty quick. That said the seelands / harkilla trousers are very good for the purpose they were designed for - walking or standing up sporting type activities.

Don't know if Seelands etc are any better than Deerhunters but sitting in a puddle on a wet chair is a complete no-no in them !!

David - a lot of the hunting gear has folks sitting in chairs in the trees in snow...i have no problem sitting in mine...cold after a while but not wet, better than goretex in my view...also i have found the size is generally a fit and in fact i have sent jackets back as they have been too big at the advertised size eg c54 - they are European sizes. They also last - i have a pair of lined winter hunting trousers that have been through the wringer but are still going well after 6 years :)

I guess the worst that can happen is that I need to return them. I have my eyes on a pair of Seeland Marsh and was told the inside leg is 33", which should just about be enough. They look robust enough and worth the investment. To be honest, I usually try and find a bargain - which mostly seems to backfire....:)

Hi Rich - have you actually tried on a pair of the ESP trousers? I recently bought the salopettes and despite being 6ft tall I had to have them shortened.

Back