• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Particles in PVA - What's the best method??

Adam Francis

I had some pigeon conditioner that I wanted to put into a PVA mesh bag. I air dried it first & then just added some vegetable oil & some salmon oil which I thought would ensure it didn't dissolve the bag.

Unfortunately this didn't work so I'm wondering how to go about it? Having seen the over priced tubs for the carp boys I'm assuming there's a way but I just haven't figured it out yet? I didn't make the bags up in advance either, as soon as I put the particle in the mesh it just made a big oily hole.

Anyone got any ideas or come across this before. I fish on the Thames so I need all the help I can :D

Thanks all - hope someone can help.

Thank's guys.

Glycerin would be expensive so I'll give the hemp oil a go Luke. Can I assume you've tested this - I thought any oil would be fine but my experiment on the bank proved otherwise.

What about air drying it then putting pellet groundbait in a solid bag before the particle,or are you trying to make the bags up in advance.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll be experimenting over the weekend. Hopefully I'll find something to avoid the mess I made last time!

Goodoil

I am a big fan of this stuff for Its fish attracting properties and a health supplement been taking small amounts daily for sometime and I am convinced It Is beneficial.
Noticed I have a craving for garlic spam and I spook away from short hook lengths but other than that I cannot fault It:D

I Had a bit of a play around at the weekend with all the suggestions, thanks to everyone for those. Salt works without doubt, hemp oil on it's own doesn't even when I soaked it in the stuff!

A little salt & then the hemp oil works a treat & the one I've gone for, prefer the attraction of hemp oil over salt but I might test both. 1 litre of glycerin ordered & on the way so I'll have a go this weekend hopefully & see what difference that makes.

Adam, it may pay you well to experiment with the different class mesh aavailable as some melts far more slower than others;)

Adam, you have now discovered a few substances that work (i.e, they stop the water in your particles from melting the PVA). However (and this may sound a silly question)....have you tested the longevity of the waterproofing capabilities of theses substances? You only need something which will prevent the PVA melting until it reaches the river bed...not stop it dissolving for hours, and certainly not permanently.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.

Adam how much salt to seed & water did you use??. I also see that go out doors do a 2kg bucket of PVA friendly particles for about £7 not sure how this might compare.

Hi all.

Fair point David re melting times but it still melts away in a minute or two, no difference.

Stephen, I drain the water off the seeds using a large sieve & then put around a handful per 2 pints or so of regular table salt, allowing the excess water to drain away. I ended up sprinkling a small amount of fishmeal over the seeds & fill the pva after. You can use oil or put the salt in the water but it makes a hell of a mess & I don't bother now.

I buy the pigeon conditioner from a feed merchant so much, much cheaper than Go Outdoors.

Hope that helps.

Back