• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rods and Rings

Steve Reed

My barbel rods are in need of replacement due mainly to the fact that the rod rings are breaking with increasing regularity. Both rods have single leg rings that inevitably get bent backwards and forwards when kept made up in a quiver. Metal fatigue sets in and the one leg eventually snaps off. I will probably go down the i-power route which will solve this issue with some decent two legged rings. However, I am interested to know if there are any 'off the shelf' rods currently available that come with two legged rings as standard. If so I haven't been able to find them. Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

If your happy with the current rods and the blanks are in good condition why not just get them rebuilt/refurbished with the guides of your choice.

I have the Fox Duo-Lite FX, comes with two legged rings as standard, much better than my previous Greys Prodigy that I was always snapping the single leg rings on.

I've had single leg rings on rods since the late 70's and only ever broken one ! What on earth do you do you people do to em ? :)

To reduce the risk of damaging rings don't leave rods set up in quivers , putting them in and out of car boots , walking through vegetation will inevitably lead to damage . Just set up when you get to the river bank it only takes a few minutes

A lot of my fishing involves roving on small often overgrown rivers. I might move swims several times and the rod can get tangled in branches etc when fishing tight areas. I will have a go at re-ringing a 'retired' rod. I haven't whipped a rod ring for many years so should be fun! Will also definitely have a look at the fox rod.

Cheers

Steve

If you are a lover of singles then look at the Fuji BKLAG and BKTAG guides - much stronger than the average. Couple this with a butt with double legs (BKWAG) and you have a good strong set up.

BKTAG

Hi Steve,
Have a word with Bob (Gill), he refurbed my Ipower not long ago (for not a lot of money), finsh was outstanding and rod felt like brand new, I had the rings redone, though with double/legged rings.

Cheers DT

Because I'm short of cash and cycle around with my rods on me bike quite a lot, so it's just not worth buying posh ones, I get second-hand carp rods from a generation where carp rods were of the 1.75-2 lb type t/c, average cost £15 on gumtree etc , and from the Wye to the Nidd they've do me fine in my barbelling so far.

Most of my stuff is second-hand and it seems a lot easier to get good-as-new second-hand rods for a bargain price than it is for reels.

Wychwood fit double legged rings to their rods. As said previously get your current rods re - ringed. With modern epoxy coatings I am not sure it is a diy job these days though.

Back