• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

keeping me paste on !

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
If I wanted to hair rig with braid ,a stiffish paste bait on a decent size river, casting maybe 30yds, what develish means can one employ to keep the bait on upon casting and for say 20min in the water ?
Size of paste could be 8mm dia up to 30mm

I dont much care for the plastic bait screws/helicoils available.
Do not want to simply wrap paste around a pellet , boilie ,cork ball etc
Sure there is a cheap,safe,quick and easy way of doing it ?

Perhaps attach piece of light ,fine mesh to hair and mould paste into it ??

Anyone comments or better ideas....?

Cheers M

what's wrong the wrap method though?

at least there's still a bait should the paste break down/come off.

John
Cos if I get a bite after a while I wont know if fish has actually taken the paste or pellet.
So then should I switch to pellet only or carry on "masking" the pellet with paste or focus on a paste for bait ?
In reality I guess it doesnt really matter that much as a bite is a bite but it would be good to know if they have a definant preference and thus adapt tactics on the day.

Graham
How many in a packet ,not made it clear in ad.

Cheers.
Mark

Stay put riggers are very good, have used them in the past.
Don't quite like the idea of adding more 'ironmongery' though.
My favourite is to take a small boilie, cut it in half, reverse on the hair and then paste wrap - advantage if the paste washes off then there is something for the fish to take and paste wrap has more irregular shape ')(' sort of thing to adhere to. Use the same method with a cork ball.

Stay put riggers are very good, have used them in the past.
Don't quite like the idea of adding more 'ironmongery' though.
My favourite is to take a small boilie, cut it in half, reverse on the hair and then paste wrap - advantage if the paste washes off then there is something for the fish to take and paste wrap has more irregular shape ')(' sort of thing to adhere to. Use the same method with a cork ball.

That's a great tip Bob, I am also not keen on adding more 'furniture' to a rig :)

I feel the same way, if only because if the hair snapped for any reason, it would quite likely see the fairly sharp ended spring being swallowed by the fish with the bait. That coil is NOT going to pass through, so the end result is inevitable. However, I realise that as we fish with a faily sharp piece of wire called a hook, that is a bit silly...but it still bothers me :D

Cheers, Dave.

I bought some of the wire screws and sat looking at them.i must have been off my trolley.never used them.barbaric.after all I have caught my fair share of barbel without resorting to those.not good for the fish i.
Albert

mark, try armour mesh thats designed to deter crayfish, put some paste in the net and then cover it well with more paste, by the time the outside paste washes off the stuff in the nets still there mate
other way is a decent size enterprise pellet and cover it in a dollop of paste, the paste washes off but leaves a flavoured pellet for the barbel that the washed off paste attracts, :)

I haven't used much paste since the end of the winter chub season in March but when I started with it, it often flew off the hair. I just kept developing the consistency till it pretty much always stayed on. Bet it'll take me a while to get the consistency back again this winter.

John ,
Thats the sort of thing I was thinking of ;)
Paste would surely have very good adhesion in and around the mesh,simple to do I reckon,fish friendlier and just paste on the hair

No need to hair rig paste really just mould round a hook, actually believe all the extra bits and pieces is counter productive.

No need to hair rig paste really just mould round a hook, actually believe all the extra bits and pieces is counter productive.

Trial and error for me has left me preferring hair for my stiff cheese paste, with the bend of the hook just covered by the top of the big ball of paste.

Very few chub bites missed that way last winter.

NS
I dont reckon a "fairly stiff paste" moulded around the hook will have the same hooking up potential as a hair rig or stay on as well on a longish cast and stay on the hook for 20min or so in the river.
RE
Pva will help on the cast but melt in the water so I guess offers nothing once the cast is made,,,unless I am missing something there.I would not want to rely on hair to pva connection not getting wet and dissolving,even if it could be wrapped /covered in paste.If you found it works then fair play.
PM
Korum paste cages look handy ,I would fancy them if a very rubbery construction and size appropriate.Advert does not go into much detail.

Thanks for that one and all.

Back