• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wide neck flask....

Chris Cheshire

Hi guys, after recently smashing yet another old fashioned glass thermos flask I have purchased a new one - Thermos 'ultimate'... and I have to say, it really is very good.

However, I would like a wider necked one for taking hot food along for the winter months. Most of the wider neck ones seem to really suffer with how long they claim to keep food warm.. does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi guys, after recently smashing yet another old fashioned glass thermos flask I have purchased a new one - Thermos 'ultimate'... and I have to say, it really is very good.

However, I would like a wider necked one for taking hot food along for the winter months. Most of the wider neck ones seem to really suffer with how long they claim to keep food warm.. does anyone have any suggestions?

Kelly's Chris?
But I did have a gift thermos from son's g/f at Christmas, it was one of those naff anglers type, all the pictures of all the fish, except Barbel, you know the one if you took it to a BS fish in you would get banned, but it is a narrow neck job and it keeps stuff hot for a good 8 hours or so, just need to cover it with gaffer or camo tape I suppose.:)

Hi Chris, being a cabbie who work nights, i have been through the full range of flasks available. And i fully agree with John Hopkinson above. The original Thermos brand is hard to beat, I also bought a 1.2 ltr king flask, which i fill with boiling water, this gives me the option of tea, coffee, cup a soups, or even a pot noodle. I,m sure the wide neck food flask they sell will be up to the job. They are dearer than other brands, but with a 50 year guarantee, its a no brainer.

Hi Derek, just out of interest, I went on the Amazon site and looked at the reviews on flasks, and there seemed to be something odd going on with these mega guarantees. It may of course just be down to human error, but some state that they 'missed the return window and were refused help', when the flask failed just a month or two after they bought them.

It seems that practically all of the companies have superb liquid holding flasks, (with standard small necks and lids) but fall down badly on the wide mouth food flasks, which develop lid and seal problems with annoying regularity. I am not normally swayed by reviews, as I don't believe half of them are genuine. However, having had several of these food flasks myself, all of which failed miserably sooner rather than later, I think they have a point this time.

So, you pay your £20 or whatever, and take your chances. Good luck to those deciding to go down that road, but I am with you on the hot water in a proper flask, and the many options that gives you :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Derek, just out of interest, I went on the Amazon site and looked at the reviews on flasks, and there seemed to be something odd going on with these mega guarantees. It may of course just be down to human error, but some state that they 'missed the return window and were refused help', when the flask failed just a month or two after they bought them.

It seems that practically all of the companies have superb liquid holding flasks, (with standard small necks and lids) but fall down badly on the wide mouth food flasks, which develop lid and seal problems with annoying regularity. I am not normally swayed by reviews, as I don't believe half of them are genuine. However, having had several of these food flasks myself, all of which failed miserably sooner rather than later, I think they have a point this time.

So, you pay your £20 or whatever, and take your chances. Good luck to those deciding to go down that road, but I am with you on the hot water in a proper flask, and the many options that gives you :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi David, go on the Thermos website, and buy direct from them rather than Amazon etc. :)

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store?gclid=CIfDifr-sMgCFevpwgodaxINyQ

can't beat the thermos king flask and i also have a thermos food flask which keeps food hot for about 8 hours. by the way you can not make stew from hot water.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I went with the thermos food flask with the folding spoon.... Can't wait to use it! Btw.. The folding spoon was the best bit!!

great in summer with a large wide neck flask, just pop a small bottle of frozen water in it and top it up with water, stays ice cold all day:)

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, i think i'll buy one of those mega guarantee one's just in case i'm still here in 50 years time. Take it back to the shop in 2064 (if its still there) and ask for my money back:D This might just about keep me going until my 106th birthday:D

Stephen

Back