• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

"D" rig

Chris Thomson

Hi anyone played about with this rig and done any good with it, quite like the idea of the bait tightish to the hook but with a little movement, have scored well with it for carp just wondering if there was any mileage in it for barbel?

Couldnt see any reason why it shouldnt work i like the idea of it resetting itself if chub are faffing about with the bait/rig

Just an update used it last night and although the barbel werent playing ball the 3 chub i caught were hooked plum in the centre of the bottom lip which is encouraging

Not for the purists but i used 20lb gardner trick link for the stiffness a size 6 drennan continental and a 2oz inline lead the rig was 6"in length, trick link is a mono but is very robust nice colour and knots v well but is not overly stiff i used an 18mm boilie tied onto a small rig ring on the actual "d"

A 'D' rig is superb for chub as you have found Chris, but like you I have not tried if for barbel. Generally I have found a longish hair good for barbel, but rubbish for chub. However, although barbel don't seem to be the deepest of thinkers, perhaps a new to them rig like the 'D' would catch some of the wary ones on the hop. Certainly worth a try. Very interesting.

Cheers, Dave.

Once again, the carp scene influencing the river angler, remember guys/gals, simple is best ;).

P.S. Dave G, i always thought you couldn,t teach an old dog new tricks :D:D:D
Only joking mucka :);):p:D:)

Dave, where are you based ? How would you like a days fishing on me, ( I would happily pick you up and return you to home ), any time in January, your choice of location and time. Been speaking to you on these boards for far too long, and have never had the privilege of meeting you. Best wishes, Derek. :)

Chris, if you're fishing a river where the average size of chub isn't going to shatter a PB, doesn't the disturbance caused by catching the chub (which otherwise may have dropped the bait) spook the barbel and ruin your chances in that swim? It does sound like a rig worth trying though. Youtube here I come!

Once again, the carp scene influencing the river angler, remember guys/gals, simple is best ;).

P.S. Dave G, i always thought you couldn,t teach an old dog new tricks :D:D:D
Only joking mucka :);):p:D:)

Dave, where are you based ? How would you like a days fishing on me, ( I would happily pick you up and return you to home ), any time in January, your choice of location and time. Been speaking to you on these boards for far too long, and have never had the privilege of meeting you. Best wishes, Derek. :)

Very kind gesture Derek, appreciated, but I live darn sarf mate, in Buckinghamshire, just north of London. I hate to think what that would clock up on your taxi :D:D:D

Sorry Chris.

Cheers, Dave

Apology accepted, yeah if theres chub about i like to hook it quickly and get a bait straight back out , all the time a chubs faffing about im thinking its not doing my hookbait area any good, also a d rig is excellent at resetting itself in case of chub mischief

Simple is best ? er well no not if that means a hook tied to a mono hooklink and a simple off the shank hair to a pellet or boilie, piece of meat etc, having seen Barbel taking and ejecting baits fished like this many times i tend to disagree ! Chris i haven't tried the D rig myself but can see the merit in it, especially for big spooky Barbel, more so if they are on their own and not competing with others, it's a very sensitive set up though and i can see Chub becoming a real hassle with it, but in the right circumstances yes i'm convinced enough to give it a whirl.

Back