• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Preston innovations carbonactive float asaki

Dave Quinn

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge of the carbonactive float rod, with the asaki blank. I know there's a 13ft and a more powerful 12' 9" version, I was wondering which version is suitable for stick float fishibg for barbel?

To add, I've seen posts where the great Keith Speer mentions the 13ft, I was wondering if it would be powerful enough for barbel

I have a 13ft version of this rod ,and although I've never used it for barbel I've had carp to 17lb on it on the local club water. Not just a one off either they come up around that mark quite regularly.
The rod handles em beautifully and is a pleasure to use.
This said I'm sure it would have no problem if used for barbel fishing.

An excellent rod (wish I still had mine!) more suited to trotting for dace and roach with light lines than targetting barbel. No doubt barbel can be landed on light rods like these, but a more powerful rod would be better ?

A bit of a tangent but picking up on what Clive said I have taken carp to just under 20lb on a Drennan Tench Float with little trouble, however I have struggled with 7lb barbel on it. A light rod is NOT the best tool for hard fighting fish in a strong flow!

Maybe I shouldn't, but I have had loads of barbel to over 9lb on my original 13ft Carbonactive and using a 2ft extension to 15ft. This includes loads from the fast waters of the Wye on up to 10lb line straight through! One particular swim is a hook and hold running a float to a tree overhanging the water and on 8lb line I have hooked and held them!

I also have a light tip section which I use for roach, grayling etc and which turns it into "Sentient" type lighter rod

I am not up to date on the latest specs but the 12 9 is definitely beefier. However I think the new Absolute is lighter than the original Carbonactive Float but I could not speak more highly of mine and there are a couple on Ebay at the moment including a 12 9

Thanks everyone. I'll be using it on the upper Lea - small and shallow with fish to about 10lb so the 13ft might do it. I liked idea of being able to get a lighter tip and an extension if they can be sourced

The 13 footer is fine for that bit of river. But it's not the one if you are looking to fish for doubles, go for 12'9.

Thanks paul

I won a new 13' on eBay this week, and I missed out on a 12' 9" yesterday as I was fishing at marford farm at the time and I could only get a slow data connection.

As all my fishing is likely to be there or leasey bridge for now I can wait for something more powerful

At the moment I'm using a shimano beast master carp float which isn't the most delicate rod but had enough power to keep a 7lb fish out of reeds in a very tight swim yesterday.

Back