• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Well, I wasn't expecting that...

My wife watched it and said that I should sue him for infringement of copyright! She also said that if it had been me, I'd have fallen in again ;)

Well done to Chris for showing the clip for two reasons:

Firstly because it gives us all something to laugh at :) :) :)

Secondly, for anyone who has yet to fall in a river, take note of how difficult it was for him to get out. Now imagine doing the same in a swollen river that's ripping past at a rate of knots! :0

I did it on a sloping bank double figure barbel in the net reached for the spreader block over balanced and in the pitch black went in head first into 5ft of water luckily in summer. The Bristol Avon has steep banks and it's not easy to get out.

Looks a bit like the river that you spend a bit of time in Anthony!

Scary moment and one which I'm increasingly aware of after a few close shaves.

If you do go and are struggling to get out, the trick is not to panic, floating is not too difficult even in heavy clothing and it's usually not too far to an easier get out or maybe some shallows

The trick is also to avoid tree branches that are at or just below water level. Getting pinned against these with the weight of water pushing against you is a recipe for disaster. So, the next time you are fishing just upstream of that feature after heavy rain....

Back