• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Removing paint from rod tip

Neil Kirk

Have just become the proud owner of a 12ft Graham Phillips Barbel Trotter which is in immaculate condition except... a previous owner decided to paint the last foot of the tip section bright fluorescent pink.:mad:

Is it possible to remove paint without damaging the blank?

Neil

Paint stripper, if not left on too long, shouldn't effect the blank itself..but it will remove any varnish on it (under the pink), and probably seriously loosen/weaken tip whippings. It may be easier to just paint the tip in a more subtle colour..unless you're fully ok with re-whipping/re-varnishing.

Sounds daft but just try gently picking it of with your thumb nail , bit laborious but it should come off it will still need re varnishing though

Depends on the type of paint used, any preparation that has taken place prior to painting and the varnish type used on the blank itself.
My first attempt would be a quick wipe with iso propyl alcohol, which can soften some paint types. If that doesn't shift the paint then step up to cellulose thinners - which usually works. Be careful not to strip the original varnish, which may soften or in the worse case be removed. Avoid undue exposure of the solvent to the blank and yourself.
Could also try nail varnish remover - this contains mostly acetone and is easily available in small quantities.
Usual safety measures - don't breathe fumes, do it in a ventilated place, wear gloves and no sources of ignition.
There are countless other methods, but the ones I mention usually work.
As Mike suggests, gently picking the old finish off can work.

See how you get on,
Cheers
Bob

There are some fantastic paint removing hand wipes available now, the ones I can recommend are called Wonder wipes. I'd try leaving the tip wrapped in the wipes for about 10 mins and try rubbing the paint off. They work on water and spirit based paints, kind to hands so won't damage the rod.

Neil

Great rod when matched with a C/pin - had mine stolen a few years ago, have not found a replacement. Why not paint it white?

That's a really good price for the wonder wipes Derek, ordinarily the cheapest I can get them is £6 at Howdens and most places charge £8-9, I keep a tub in the boot, useful for all sort of cleaning jobs. Left to dry out they're very absorbent and a re damping revives them somewhat too.

That's a really good price for the wonder wipes Derek, ordinarily the cheapest I can get them is £6 at Howdens and most places charge £8-9, I keep a tub in the boot, useful for all sort of cleaning jobs. Left to dry out they're very absorbent and a re damping revives them somewhat too.

Hi Paul, they charge £5.99 delivery, so not cheap if you only buy 1 tub. But if your buying several, it can work out reasonable.

I tried nail varnish remover but it didn't have any effect. I'm now following Mike's idea of picking at it with my thumb nail which is working a treat and is strangely satisfying. It also seems to be leaving the original rod finish underneath intact - result!

Cheers

Neil

Back