• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

garlic spam

Tony Byrne

Senior Member & Supporter
just had a clean up of my bait cupboard and found 10 tins of garlic spam
tins are a little rusty and the sell by date is 2012:eek: will they still be ok

I'd use it. Things last years in tins. I wouldn't eat it personally but then again I wouldn't eat an in date one lol.

The best before date is for human consumption not for fishing use.
Should be fine, I hope so as I have about 20 tins.

vintage stinky french garlic:eek:

Awful stuff Tony, whatever you do, don't use it...you will stink for weeks afterwards. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it safely. That many tins will take me some time to dispose of conscientiously, but you just can't be too careful with something that terrible.

Send it quickly chap, because by the sound of it it's probably on the verge of bursting through the tin, which could cause a serious health and safety issue. In any case, I need to dispose of some of it now, before the season ends. Much harder to get rid of after that.

Yours sincerely,

Honest Dave.

Best before is actually referring to the quality of the product. It can be consumed without any problem but, for example, the texture may have deteriorated. The 'Use by date' is the human consumption deadline.

awful stuff tony, whatever you do, don't use it...you will stink for weeks afterwards. Just send it to me and i will dispose of it safely. That many tins will take me some time to dispose of conscientiously, but you just can't be too careful with something that terrible.

Send it quickly chap, because by the sound of it it's probably on the verge of bursting through the tin, which could cause a serious health and safety issue. In any case, i need to dispose of some of it now, before the season ends. Much harder to get rid of after that.

Yours sincerely,

honest dave.

:) Brilliant!

Awful stuff Tony, whatever you do, don't use it...you will stink for weeks afterwards. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it safely. That many tins will take me some time to dispose of conscientiously, but you just can't be too careful with something that terrible.

Send it quickly chap, because by the sound of it it's probably on the verge of bursting through the tin, which could cause a serious health and safety issue. In any case, I need to dispose of some of it now, before the season ends. Much harder to get rid of after that.

Yours sincerely,

Honest Dave.

thanks for your kind offer David but i feel i could i could not put you at risk and could not live with my conscience if anything was to happen to yourself .
I know a little spot on the Ribble where i could fly tip a few tins early morning
when no one is looking

kind regards Tony

thanks for your kind offer David but i feel i could i could not put you at risk and could not live with my conscience if anything was to happen to yourself .
I know a little spot on the Ribble where i could fly tip a few tins early morning
when no one is looking

kind regards Tony

Please don't worry about putting me at risk Tony. I have been disposing of this stuff for years, and my friends assure me that with my methods, there is very little chance of my catching anything.

Yours hopefully, Dave.

Please don't worry about putting me at risk Tony. I have been disposing of this stuff for years, and my friends assure me that with my methods, there is very little chance of my catching anything.

Yours hopefully, Dave.

disaster has been averted upon opening a tin they are not as volatile as first feared in fact looked rather tasty but refrained from a sample just in case.you can stand down now david i will not need your disposal service

Back