• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New E.A river level website

Ed Green

Having logged on to the EA river level site i was informed that the page has changed.
And what a load of PONY AND TRAP it is now. No specific river height is given just a pretty blue picture with no specific heights as the old one had.

This is obviously what they call progress.
No mention of river temperatures or even temperature trends as i know a number of you have asked for.
There is a feedback page which they will probably not even look at but i've filled it in just in case.
I'm starting to sound like Victor Meldrew now.

Just had a look and yes I did prefer the old style. The biggest difference is when the river is at normal level they dont take as many readings, which if your a Tidal angler some of the info is missing. Obviously the more rain the more often readings are taken. You can also run the cursor over the levels height to give depths at certain times which is a plus. Anyway we better get used to it the old ones gone now.

Jon it does seem like that as they have not included a reading since 6.30am at the location i usually look at - being a spate river it rises very quickly so it will be interesting to see what happens...I suspect this is a cost savings exercise.

Yes I am equally dismayed by the new sites, we have apparently different formats either side of the border so the Builth gauge page is different to the Bredwardine gauge page, which has been stuck at the 06.30 reading all day.
And still no temperature graph. Also looks as if the height reading starts at 1.0 mtr, I much preferred the old format.

Angling Trust "Fishing Info"

Use the Angling Trust one instead, stick in the postcode and it brings 'em up. You can save favourite venues too.

It uses EA data, and gives a 5 day history but no temps.

edit
the link i have put takes you to find a fishing venue but you need to click on the find a river level tab.

Ash i have just tried this and it has the same info as the EA site and same times...the bonus is saving the favourites.

River levels

Just had a look at the new site. If you click on the different times, it brings up the level then so maybe not as bad as first seems.

Use this one its by far the easiest to navigate with regular updates and so much easier to check stations up river to see whats coming. I have it set for my local bit on the Severn but i imagine all rivers are on it.
Shoothill GaugeMap

Just looked there. It does tell you the current level, and has a longer trend to look at which is a positive. I've noticed previously that you only get regular reasons during times of flood, otherwise it's generally three times a day or so. Will be interesting to see how often it gets updated.

I was always told to embrace change - p's me off still though!

The guagemap one i put up is updated every couple of hours and you have the choice of either daily, weekly, monthly and even yearly trends. Its the easiest i have found to navigate to other stations on the river to give you an idea of whats heading your way.

Over the last few months I've been using "paddle bubble", especially for river Wye readings.It's designed for canoeists but gives fairly regular updates certainly for the areas I'm interested in.Recently for some reason it's started recording multiple results for any given time, but other than that it's been fine.

The guagemap one i put up is updated every couple of hours and you have the choice of either daily, weekly, monthly and even yearly trends. Its the easiest i have found to navigate to other stations on the river to give you an idea of whats heading your way.

Thanks for this - excellent site and, as you say, great for historical readings. :)

Back