• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best of the cheap pins

Steve Lewis

Please note this is not another "recommend me a centrepin" thread - I have several (mostly very old) true pins and it's unlikely I'll be buying any more. And I certainly won't be splashing out hundreds on a Young's Heritage or anything (although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by the affordable Grey's Bewick).

I was just wondering, purely out of curiosity, if there was a forum consensus about what the best of the new (and still available older models, like the Leeds and Shakespeare Eagle) cheapo (as in less than a hundred notes) 'pins is ?

From mooching around, the Ikonix seems to be the best reviewed generally, but may or may not be the same reel as the TF Gear Classic and the Marco Cortesi, both of which have plenty of negative comments about them knocking around. There's something called the Cyprinus Emperor, which again looks like the same reel, and there are even some European imports coming through, information for which is scant at best.

Thoughts?

(Full disclosure - of the new pins, I've only handled the Ikonix and Okuma Sheffield. They seem nice, especially the Ikonix, the cheapest of which I've seen brand new is an unbelievable £19.99. In fact, I think I've just written myself into getting one for that price!)

I have a Marco Cortesi, I even bought some new bearings for it, which made it spin better but didn't make up for the line getting stuck behind the spool. I own a Speedia and got myself a Sheffield for my birthday, the Sheffield is a far more enjoyable reel to use then the other two, I'd avoid the MC

I'd pay the extra and get a second hand Okuma Aventa pro rather than going cheap

I have two of the Leeds centrepins which went into retirement some years ago, they were smooth trotting reels but a real pain when the line or a grain of sand got behind the back plate which often happened to me.

My various Okuma reels are the weapon of choice these days despite owning more expensive pins. The 'Martin Bowler' version is a particular favourite when trotting for barbel.

I do like the look of the Okumas, and I know they generally get brilliant reviews.

Who knows - I might treat myself. Still do prefer the look of the Bewick, though. Curses to aesthetics!

I have, however, just pulled the trigger on an Ikonix. It will be my first bearing pin. Couldn't refuse for the price, though. Silly money (and I'm under no illusion as to why - "made in China"). It's...an experiment...

Actually, it'll be an interesting experiment - its comparisons will be two battle hardened Strike Rights (a Featherflow and Tideflow) and a no-name 50s Aerial copy (all three still working now, however the Tideflow's drag knob is starting to fail, and I notice some minor spool wobble as well).

It'll also be my first pin with a lineguard, so I'll see how I get on with that.

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum btw.
I don't suppose that many of us have had an opportunity to field test every pin that comes onto the market and like you rely on user reports and reviews.
There is no doubt that a number of quality reels are over priced and that some punters pay big bucks for a bit of kudos and history.
That said, there can be a world of difference in build quality when you compare those reels with cheaper mass produced imports. There have been, and still are some really good mid range reels that represent value for money, but the real low end pins tend to be manufactured to poor engineering tolerances imo.
It's easy to produce a free spinning reel ( something that I'm not to bothered about) but to achieve absolute minimum gaps and concentricity is another matter, and can make or break a centerpin.
There are some pins that I prefer for trotting, and others for ledgering,..some have a brake and maybe solid construction, others are spoked and can be tuned.
I tend to use a G&Y Avon Royal Supreme, ...which was a comparitively cheap reel when I brought it 36 years ago....for ledgering and a pricey A/Perfection for trotting because they are both hassle free and do the job.
Always a subjective subject I know!:)
ATB Dave

Thanks Dave, for the reply and the welcome.

My three old pins have served me so well, and I don't see why they can't continue to serve me well for a few years yet, that I've never really bothered looking elsewhere. And they've always had me covered for whatever I wanted to do - the Featherflow was/is my trotting reel, the Tideflow (which is next to useless for trotting, but then I think it was intended as a sea reel[?]) was/is for ledgering and the Aerial copy was/is a bit of an all-rounder that didn't do any one thing brilliantly, but was nevertheless reliable at everything.

I don't need another pin, it really is just curiosity. Having said that, if I get on okay with the Ikonix, I may well look towards an Okuma as the next most obvious move.

Mind you, I really should sort myself out with a baitrunner for long distance carp and pike before I get another reel I DON'T need!

I've gone through a few pins before working out just where my preferences really lie. I only trot with pins and prefer to retrieve with a finger through. For those reasons, I've ended regularly using pins a minimum of 4.5" with some variation on a spoked design (but not necessarily Aerial type spokes).

I wouldn't even pretend to know what to recommend for legering, but for a newcomer to centrepin trotting on a budget, I'd suggest the bog standard Okuma Aventa or the Aventa Pro. The Aventa Pro is undoubtedly a little better, but it's a bit more money. The Sheffield and Raw II are essentially the same pin as the Aventa Pro but with slightly different clothing. Unless you end up with a hankering for bigger or more expensive pins, the Okumas may just be all you ever need. There's not a great deal wrong with the likes of the TFG, Marco Cortesi etc, but the quality can be a bit hit and miss.

Though my Okumas are pretty much redundant now, it was an Okuma pin that resurrected my interest in pins after a frustrating experience with an otherwise decent pin that was just too small for my liking.

Apologies if this is a bit of hijacking. Can anybody recommend any links (you tube for example) on how to use a pin? The reason i ask is that i purchased two Marco Cortesi reels with every intention of trying, but sold them on unused. Regretted this ever since as they would spin quite happily for well over a minute, not that i know if this is relevant or not, but would like to have another try at it.I know i can just try you tube myself, but i would't know a good example from a bad one:)

Many Thanks
Stephen

Apologies if this is a bit of hijacking. Can anybody recommend any links (you tube for example) on how to use a pin? The reason i ask is that i purchased two Marco Cortesi reels with every intention of trying, but sold them on unused. Regretted this ever since as they would spin quite happily for well over a minute, not that i know if this is relevant or not, but would like to have another try at it.I know i can just try you tube myself, but i would't know a good example from a bad one:)

Many Thanks
Stephen

Centrepin article written by Paul Whiteing

What Derek linked to.

Also, remember that how long a pin spins for means next to nothing in terms of its use on the bank. For trotting, its all about how much weight or pull is needed to get the spool moving. Whilst the length of the spin does go some way to indicate how free spinning a pin is, it's not really the first thing you should consider when using one.

But Paul's article goes into this in far greater detail. Read it - it's the only how-to pin guide you'll ever need. I only wish it existed when I first took on a pin.

I am a great fan of the Okumas, using a sheffield for trotting and an aventa for ledgering, I'd be just as happy to use the aventa for trotting though.
The only gripes I have with both is the need to use my rod hand to operate the ratchet and I'd rather have a far stronger brake for ledgering.
I recently met a fellow club angler who had a TFG classic and I was very impressed with it, seemed to spin well and true, gaps ok and without the dreadful screw holding the spool on as on other TFG reels. Moreover it had a ratchet that can be operated with the reel hand and is pretty good looking.
I'm very tempted to get one, my son has a birthday coming up soon so it's very likely he's going to get one and I'll have a good play with it.

Can anyone remind me which reel it is that the Ikonix IKX200 is identical to?

Iknonix have gone out of business and I need a new triangular ratchet thingy, so need to email the company that sells the identical one, presumably supplied from the same source in China? do I remember reading that before I bought it for my Mrs last year?? (she has somehow lost the part - I don't use a centrepin myself)

Is it the Grandeslam? Not sure why it's so hard to google this info and get a definitive answer.

Very grateful for any help.

(and I know someone will helpfully suggest a more expensive brand, but there's no prospect of that on my budget I'm afraid).

Beat me to it Gavin. There are 3 I believe which are very similar just different name. I think they copied of the cortesi after so many were sold! The part you are looking for Graham is the Pawl.
I knocked mine out while spinning the pin back.

Dave

im going to try pin fishing this week for 1st time" got myself a okuma aventa of the ebay"
does spin really easy for long time!

but can I ask you okuma guys"" don't the okuma aventa come with a spin adjuster to slow how fast pin spins?

Since making the above post I have got my son the TFG classic and had a brief try with it on a Grayling trip to Lower Itchen fishery. It's everything I'd hoped that it would be and is not to be confused with the Marco Cortessi types. This reel is a quality bit of kit and the thing that struck me the most was how light it felt compared to the Sheffield I was using. Further research has shown that the Sheffield weighs IIRC 280 grams, the classic's 202 grams, that's nearly 3 oz less to support all day. My very knowledgeable local tackle dealer has told me that the classic's are in fact made in the same factory as the Okumas! Just got a new, very light, trotting rod and a Classic will shortly be on the way to compliment it.

What Derek linked to.

Also, remember that how long a pin spins for means next to nothing in terms of its use on the bank. For trotting, its all about how much weight or pull is needed to get the spool moving. Whilst the length of the spin does go some way to indicate how free spinning a pin is, it's not really the first thing you should consider when using one.

But Paul's article goes into this in far greater detail. Read it - it's the only how-to pin guide you'll ever need. I only wish it existed when I first took on a pin.

How long ago was that, Steve? Paul wrote the 'pin piece quite a few years ago. Very informative and it gave me a few pointer when considering which 'pin to purchase.

I did, in fact, choose the Ikonix (which preceded the Cortesi I believe by a year or two) but ended up with a couple of Jets (sold one on since as I rarely fish with two rods) and a Speedia deluxe. Also bought a Lewtham Quest for side casting but use it very rarely.

The TFG reel sounds lovely for the price. Perhaps they made a few to many for the demand at the time? Great review, Paul.

Back