• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New fishery open on the River Wye which might be of interest

Aw, got excited then when I saw there´s a nice-looking campsite 200 yards downstream and an even better looking pub... then I saw the site's "no camper vans" rule, grr... frustrating.

Suppose we could stay at Lucksall and still fish a day at Hoarwithy ... so yeah, thanks for the heads-up!

Going to be a bit controversial now. I know this part of the Wye very well. Just had a look at the gallery and I'm not too sure that some of the pictures were taken where this fishery is supposed to be. Several of the pictures don't look right to me. The one with the bridge is missing the weird little house on the Hoarwithy end of the bridge. Have a look at Google Earth and stand on the bridge using streetview. Both banks above and below the bridge are fairly flat farmland with no steep tree lined hills. The right bank below the bridge is behind the New Harp Inn in Hoarwithy and is used as a campsite and launching place for canoes. Once again, take a look at Google Earth. The first field down would be ok for fishing. The left bank is a jungle for some way downstream and backs on to Milly Slater's farm although I don't think she has the fishing rights. Looking upstream, which is where this fishery is supposed to be, as far as I am aware, the right hand bank is part of the Aramstone estate owned by the Williams family. If it is, I'm a bit puzzled why Stan would not be running the fishing there. The left bank has a footpath running down it and a road further down (use streetview again). The first couple of hundred metres goes with the B&B accommodation run by Milly Slater or did. Haven't been down for a couple of seasons now so things may have changed and if they have I apologise. As far as fishing the upstream section goes, it would be very similar to Aramstone. Perhaps a phonecall to Stan on 07899 903744 would be a way to get the most up to date info. Or of course, ring Robert Fox. Probably a reasonable fishery but not what it seems from the gallery pictures.

So you have doubts about the honesty of the 'blurb' on the fishery? And you want us to ring Stan to confirm....Why didn't you before posting this?

Neil. To be honest I had no problem with Chris asking the question to see if anyone else could contribute here.

I had a couple of concerns too. However as I don't plan to fish it......is Nigel involved?

Absolutely right and I should have spoken to both people first. So, I have called Robert Fox but only get a recorded message. I have spoken to Stan and he has confirmed that it is both banks upstream from Hoarwithy bridge round to nearly the Whirlihole. Don't know what the boundary is on the opposite bank. Apparently there is a dispute re access on the Aramstone side (Stan's words). He thinks the parking will be by Hoarwithy bridge for that bank. The opposite bank has better access. Milly Slater still has her small section. Some news re Milly Slater - she has sold the farm and now lives over the bridge near the river. There is no longer any B&B at her old farm but the self catering accommodation may still be available.
As far as the pictures on the website are concerned, I stand by what I have already said.

Absolutely right and I should have spoken to both people first. So, I have called Robert Fox but only get a recorded message. I have spoken to Stan and he has confirmed that it is both banks upstream from Hoarwithy bridge round to nearly the Whirlihole. Don't know what the boundary is on the opposite bank. Apparently there is a dispute re access on the Aramstone side (Stan's words). He thinks the parking will be by Hoarwithy bridge for that bank. The opposite bank has better access. Milly Slater still has her small section. Some news re Milly Slater - she has sold the farm and now lives over the bridge near the river. There is no longer any B&B at her old farm but the self catering accommodation may still be available.
As far as the pictures on the website are concerned, I stand by what I have already said.

Robert is a member on here Chris, last posted yesterday on the Wye River thread. I did scrutinise the gallery pics, and they all seemed from the same stretch, by the Bridge.

I have just talked with Robert Fox re his new Wye fishery. It is both banks above Hoarwithy bridge. I asked him about the gallery photos and he was adamant they were all from both banks above the bridge. He was a bit vague re access to the right Aramstone bank but did say that the boundary was above the Whirlihole on Stan's Aramstone fishery. I think Stan might have a different version to that. Other things mentioned - the left bank boundary goes higher than the right bank and abutts the Wye & Usk fishery opposite Aramstone (can't remember the name). No maggots during the Salmon season. He did seem amenable to more than 4 coarse anglers at a time, but only a couple more, as long as the whole fishery was booked as a group. Access to the left bank is a lot easier with a road running adjacent for much of the way although not much parking, if any. He seemed pretty knowledgeable not only about coarse and game angling on the Wye but also the Severn, Teme, etc. All in all, he seemed a genuine chap, so I think I should apologise for my doubts although I'm still not convinced about the pictures. As far as the fishery goes, it may turn out to be as productive as Aramstone. As I will be living in Wiltshire at the start of the river season, I'll definitely give it a try. That's if he lets me after this.

I have just talked with Robert Fox re his new Wye fishery. It is both banks above Hoarwithy bridge. I asked him about the gallery photos and he was adamant they were all from both banks above the bridge. He was a bit vague re access to the right Aramstone bank but did say that the boundary was above the Whirlihole on Stan's Aramstone fishery. I think Stan might have a different version to that. Other things mentioned - the left bank boundary goes higher than the right bank and abutts the Wye & Usk fishery opposite Aramstone (can't remember the name). No maggots during the Salmon season. He did seem amenable to more than 4 coarse anglers at a time, but only a couple more, as long as the whole fishery was booked as a group. Access to the left bank is a lot easier with a road running adjacent for much of the way although not much parking, if any. He seemed pretty knowledgeable not only about coarse and game angling on the Wye but also the Severn, Teme, etc. All in all, he seemed a genuine chap, so I think I should apologise for my doubts although I'm still not convinced about the pictures. As far as the fishery goes, it may turn out to be as productive as Aramstone. As I will be living in Wiltshire at the start of the river season, I'll definitely give it a try. That's if he lets me after this.

:D Its all good publicity Chris, you know that area like the 'back of your hand' so it's understandable you might have a few doubts. However another stretch of the Wye for us coarse types, that helps.
You say you are moving to Wiltshire, spent more of my life in Wilts than anywhere else, no doubt you will be fishing the BA with the odd trip to Stacklands to see what a Barbel looks like :rolleyes:

I fish Aramstone a lot the opposite bank from the whirliehole downstream is quite accessible although very shallow in a number of places. The left hand bank (looking downstream) not so accessible. The section up stream opposite Aramstone is syndicate water by a group of doctors. Further upstream is Ballingham.
Heard a little while ago that Milly had sold but my sources tell me the cottages are still available. I'm down there opening day so i'll find out more.
Graham fairly certain that Richard Wager either fished this stretch when he first came up or he was offered the opportunity. He's spoken to me about it a few times he always mentions the unusual house on the bridge.

Have just stumbled on this thread.
I have been fishing stretch since 1999 and now have the privilege of managing the fishery, and so if anybody has any questions please do not hesitate to call me on 07917 868090.
I will say that all the photos are from the fishery including the one with the bridge and the angler in the foreground. The toll house is just out of sight to the right. I should know because that’s me fishing for Barbel!
Early days of course. The stretch has always been very lightly fished. It has something of everything including deep sections, pools and shallows and I look forward to receiving back reports this coming season.
The fishery map which is sent to those anglers who have booked, has been accurately based on the original fishery map provided to me by the family. It excludes the small section owned by the lady who ran a B&B and also a couple of sections of common land. It is a double bank fishery starting at the Lower Ballingham beat on the right hand bank, and from a point close to the Aramstone Cottages on the left hand bank, and all the way down to the bridge. There is off road parking by the bridge, at a point half way along by the Salmon Hut and also by the top section. I could go on but hopefully I have clarified a couple of issues!
Rgds
Robert
Old Harp Fishery - Home

Rolling meat river Wye. Old Harp Fishery.

Hi Robert .

Is this beat any good for rolling meat? . I see that the river Wye is known for its rocky snags , so this might not be a possible method on any parts of the river.?

I would be looking to fish around the end of August .

Thanks.

Booked up on this stretch for 2 days at the back end of September, will be my first trip to the wye, counting the days

Thnks to this thread for the heads-up on this FABULOUS fishery where we had a great day on Monday, not in terms of fish caught really, but in almost every other way.

We fished about 2- 9pm and the total catch was just two 6-pounders at dusk for my Mrs, casting absolutely on the button into a far bank hole Stan had showed us. I lost 3 fish - including one that was the only daylight bite either me or the Mrs had in our 4-day trip up the Wye, fishing 4 day ticket venues from Monmouth to Hereford - Stan reckoned it was the worst day for a while. Also broke my newest and best rod, inexplicably snapping out of the blue on a cast when there was less lead on than previously, but I had struggled with weed previously a great deal.

What a fantastic place though - big fish of various species were showing at certain points through the day, and a real privilege to fish there. Never been anywhere before where you could park behind the pegs either, so after a couple of days trudging through mud with all the gear at other Wye venues, this idyllic sunny day with all the facilities our van could offer was much needed!

Back