• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help please-blank on Martin Bowler rod

David Tainton

Hello!
Can anyone help me I'd the blank used on a 12ft Martin Bowler giant Ouse Barbel rod?
1.5tc, brown blank serial A1342 Fuji seat and rings.

Any help appreciated in advance

Is this the rod? Didn't quite understand the question though David.

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5607-2016-05-18-18-34-12.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5608-2016-05-18-18-34-44.jpg

Ahh...well its medium-soft action and ......well thats it really..:rolleyes:

No idea what the blank origins were, but it was medium budget, so it ain't Harrison.

Thanks for the replies-yes Dave that is the rod, and thanks Derek, its the blank used that I would like to know. I am a fanatic about Harrison blanks, but like the feel of this rod and wanted to use it (will make a good Tench rod)

Cheers DT

Had the rod for some years David and its been brilliant for the money. I did manage to bust the whipped isotope on a wrap round one night.:eek:
I prefer the screw up reel seat to the screw down, so that was a plus.

Can't be sure, but rumour had it that they WERE on Harrison blanks.

As previously stated hard to believe for their modest RRP.

Can't be sure, but rumour had it that they WERE on Harrison blanks.

As previously stated hard to believe for their modest RRP.

I've always liked the rod Dave, although the action may be too soft for some.
Didn't really notice it until I went back to it last season after using tippy rods for a few years. Interesting about the possibilities of it being built on a Harrison blank, ...certainly made it good value if that's the case!
I guess MB should know if he put his name to the rod?
I did buy a Giant 2.75 tc for piking because I liked the lightweight 1.5 , but I never really took to it because it was heavy compared with my other pokey rods. Seems a long time ago now!

Thanks

Thanks for replies, it's a cracking rod, as ever, maybe a little light for modern Barbel fishing(though at that time MB had caught a few v big Ouse fish), maybe we are all in overkill? It will get use as a Tench rod, and will be interesting if anyone does know blank-don't know what they retailed for, but it's a well built rod.
Keep smiling!

Back