• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new club for this year but which one

Ray Heath

hi I am thinking of trying a new club this year but not to sure which will be best so I was thinking or
Verulam angling
or
Peterborough and district

I know Verulam has a lot of water to go at on ouse . ivel and lea but apart from fishers green what is there section of the lea like ?

I know nothing about peterboroughs fishing or the nene so any info please .

pm me if you don't want to put anything on here please

ray

Hi Ray, their section of the Lea at Marford Farm is stuffed with fish. They have 2 sections either side of the road, the short walk and the long walk.
The short walk is the most popular but it does get very busy, if you can`t catch a Barbel there you won`t catch one anywhere.
The long walk is far more natural but is was ruined a few seasons ago when they let some idiot loose with a chain saw, the banks might have recovered somewhat by now but I don`t know for sure as I left the club that season.
Twenty Barbel in a session was possible on the right days.
As for the Nene, Peterborough Angling have a cracking stretch that you can day ticket for about a fiver, I think a season ticket is only £25.00 or £30.00.
Mark Smith who posts on here is a bailiff there, smashing fella, really helpful might be worth sending him a PM.
A lot harder than Marford Farm but holds some cracking Barbel and Chub.
Best of luck for the coming season where ever you end up.

I did a work party at marford farm yesterday, a really nice bunch of lads who really look after it. The short walk has very good access and is very well maintained, it's not everyone's cup of tea with the paths and the busy draw for the hot pegs most mornings but like kevin says get on the good pegs and you'll catch a boatload, even in winter. Lots of good chub and some big roach too and some carp. I fished the long walk last winter, it's much quieter and wilder, very pretty and some decent barbel and chub. It's a small shallow river there that doesn't look like it could have as many fish in it as it does. The barbel aren't huge there but there are masses of them, they are a really friendly bunch down there

VAC also own a short stretch of the Lea at leasey bridge which is really nice as well

It's a great club, they own the rights to a lot of fishing and they really take care of their waters

As already said, Marford short walk is the place to go if you'd like to catch 40 Barbel in a day and you don't mind getting up early, the long walk is a lot more natural and is more suited to a mobile approach, plenty of Barbel, Chub and good roach, both stretches have a night fishing restriction.
Leasey bridge is an altogether more natural fishery than the short walk, the Barbel are mostly 2-5lb, which to my mind is far more in keeping with diminutive nature of the river than the pellet fattened fish downstream at Marford. It also has the backwater, this is a pond/lake connected to the river, it, and the river, have never been stocked and it holds lots of Tench, mostly small but has produced 5lbers, some very good roach, lots of small Rudd and Perch and quite a few Barbel. The Barbel tend to be bigger than in the river, averaging 6 1/2-7lb, a fair few Carp have taken up residence too, together with Chub.
Fishing at Leasey is up to midnight summer and winter and night fishing is very popular.
The Ouse fisheries are fabulous but have suffered the well known problems all the Ouse has lately, the silverfish seem to be making a comeback though to fill the gap.
The Lea fisheries are a great antidote to a few blanks up on the Ouse.
Last year I fished the Ivel for the first time, what a lovely and interesting bit of water, not caught anything exceptional yet but roll on next year! It's been severely Ottered Barbelwise but lots of good Roach and Chub to have a go at. There are still some big Barbel there but 'the big one' was an otters lunch one day so the bivvy circus has moved on and it's not quite as manic as it was.
Verulam is a brilliant club, you'd not regret joining I'm sure.

I dare not join that club now because the feeling of failure and rejection if I failed would drive me to suicide :D:D:D. Only kidding, it's a great club. Such a shame that dear old Keith is no longer there helping out.

Cheers, Dave.

yes I was thinking what I could say if I blanked , its not just me but will join as a joint membership as the mrs likes to come and catch more fish than me

Ray if you are looking for a quiet water then the long walk at marford should be quiet but there is limited space in the joint car park.The short walk is in summer nearly always busy,20 swims and a 04 50 draw for them.Its full of fish but its very like match fishing.If you have a long drive and turn up and the car park is full then you can always go to Leasey bridge 1.5 miles up the road which usually has spare swims.In winter the Marford draw is still busy,twice last winter all the swims were taken at the draw.You can have the day of your barbel fishing life if your hand comes out of the bag with first or second choice.Its a great club with lots of water. People do get upset with the draw system but its a lot fairer than people arriving at 2 am in winter to get in the two most prolific barbel swims in the country.

The peterbough & district AA day ticket barbel sections { 3 different } are best suited to roving tactics and some sections can get busy at times especially early season.
none are bag up venues and will require a fair bit of time being put in to get to know the water and find the best specimens so dont expect a dozen fish in a full day as 2-3 would be more realistic when conditions are good.
The lower nene suffers with lack of flow and low clear water most of the time so it can be hard going but barbel up to 16lb can be caught once you get used to it.
Theres strictly no night fishing and the waters are bailiffed several times a day with regular night patrols.

Back